As the largest independent provider of acute surgical services, BMI Healthcare has been at the forefront of the drive to improve clinical and non-clinical service standards across the independent sector.
We aim to provide the highest standards in all aspects of patient care. This includes ensuring unequalled attention to hygiene and involving patients in the process to minimise any risks of infection.
This enables us to maintain our excellent record for cases and rates of MRSA, Clostridium Difficile and wound infection. Detailed information is provided on each of these topics.
BMI Healthcare is committed to the provision of high quality care to ensure the best possible outcomes for our patients. This includes robust infection prevention and control activities to minimise the risk of any of our patients acquiring any healthcare associated infection.
BMI Healthcare's routine practice in relation to MRSA screening is to take a targeted and focused approach and screen selectively in light of the clinical needs of each patient. The availability of dedicated nursing teams, compliance with appropriate precautions, and single room accommodation, which can be used for isolation rooms if required, enable us to adopt this approach.
All NHS England and Wales Patients admitted under contracted agreement are screened for MRSA in line with the latest Department of Health (DH) Guidance.
An eradication programme is offered to those patients whose screening results indicate that they are colonised with MRSA.
All results are monitored and evaluated and will guide further policy development.
A copy of our policy on the management of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) is available here.
Eliminating Mixed Sex Accommodation
BMI Healthcare complies with NHS requirements for the elimination of mixed sex accommodation. A copy of BMI Healthcare's declaration confirming this is available here.
Please select the BMI Hospital of your choice below to see what we are doing to monitor infection and hygiene.
- Aberdeenshire, BMI Albyn Hospital
- Angus Dundee, BMI Fernbrae Hospital
- Ayrshire, BMI Carrick Glen Hospital
- Bedfordshire, BMI The Manor Hospital
- Berkshire, BMI The Princess Margaret Hospital
- Buckinghamshire, BMI The Chiltern Hospital
- Buckinghamshire, BMI The Saxon Clinic
- Bucks, BMI The Shelburne Hospital
- Carmarthenshire, BMI Werndale Hospital
- Cheshire, BMI The Alexandra Hospital
- Cheshire, BMI The South Cheshire Private Hospital
- City of Glasgow, BMI Ross Hall Hospital
- County Durham, BMI Woodlands Hospital
- Dorset, BMI The Harbour Hospital
- Dorset, BMI The Winterbourne Hospital
- East Sussex, BMI The Esperance Hospital
- Essex, BMI Southend Hospital
- Greater London, BMI The Blackheath Hospital
- Greater London, BMI The London Independent Hospital
- Hampshire, BMI Sarum Road Hospital
- Hampshire, BMI The Hampshire Clinic
- Kent, BMI Chelsfield Park Hospital
- Kent, BMI Fawkham Manor Hospital
- Kent, BMI The Chaucer Hospital
- Kent, BMI The Sloane Hospital
- Kent, BMI The Somerfield Hospital
- Lancashire, BMI Gisburne Park Hospital
- Lancashire, BMI The Beardwood Hospital
- Lancashire, BMI The Beaumont Hospital
- Lancashire, BMI The Highfield Hospital
- Lancashire, BMI The Lancaster Hospital
- Lincolnshire, BMI The Lincoln Hospital
- London, BMI Hendon Hospital
- Middlesex, BMI Bishops Wood Hospital
- Middlesex, BMI Syon Clinic
- Middlesex, BMI The Cavell Hospital
- Middlesex, BMI The Clementine Churchill Hospital
- Middlesex, BMI The Kings Oak Hospital
- Norfolk, BMI The Sandringham Hospital
- Northamptonshire, BMI Three Shires Hospital
- Nottinghamshire, BMI The Park Hospital
- Somerset, BMI Bath Clinic
- South Yorkshire, BMI Thornbury Hospital
- Stirlingshire, BMI Kings Park Hospital
- Suffolk, BMI St Edmunds Hospital
- Surrey, BMI Coombe Wing
- Surrey, BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital
- Surrey, BMI Shirley Oaks Hospital
- Surrey, BMI The Runnymede Hospital
- Warwickshire, BMI The Meriden Hospital
- West Midlands, BMI Sutton Medical Centre
- West Midlands, BMI The Edgbaston Hospital
- West Midlands, BMI The Priory Hospital
- West Sussex, BMI Goring Hall Hospital
- West Yorkshire, BMI The Huddersfield Hospital
- Wiltshire, BMI The Ridgeway Hospital
- Worcestershire, BMI The Droitwich Spa Hospital
- Yorkshire, BMI The Duchy Hospital
VTE risk assessment
Venous Thromboembolism (VTE), the current term which covers deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE), has been widely reported as being responsible for up to 25,000 largely preventable deaths in UK hospital patients each year.
As part of our commitment to clinical excellence, every patient admitted to a BMI Healthcare hospital or clinic will undergo a detailed VTE risk assessment on admission and then periodically during their stay.
The risk assessment process categorises patients according to their individual risk of developing DVT and recommends the appropriate action for the medical practitioner to prescribe including medication mechanical devices to be administered to relevant patients during their hospital stay and for patients who remain at risk of developing a VTE after discharge from hospital.
BMI Healthcare is the first national private healthcare provider in the UK to be awarded VTE Exemplar Centre status across its whole network of hospitals and clinics by the Department of Health.
BMI Healthcare’s clinical and strategic implementation and on-going development has earned them the award of Best VTE Education Initiative at the Lifeblood National VTE Awards.
Lifeblood the thrombosis charity, alongside Awards partners, the All-Party Parliamentary Thrombosis Group and the NHS VTE Prevention Programme, recognise the role BMI Healthcare has played in sharing best practice with the NHS.