Professor Newland holds many positions in a number of bodies including:
- Director of the Pathology Clinical Academic Unit, Barts and the London NHS Trust
- Chair of the NICE Diagnostics Assessment Group
- Chair of the CMO's National Blood Transfusion Committee
- Chair of the Pan-London Clinical Advisory Group for Childrena and Young People with Cancer
- Director of the NE London Cancer Network Member of the National Cancer Director's Cancer Reform Strategy Group
- Chair of the London Cancer New Drugs Group and member of the National Chemotherapy Advisory Group President, the Royal College of Pathologists 2005-2008
- President of the British Society for Haematology 1998-9
- Chair for Education and Training, International Society of Haematology 2000-2008
Professor Newland has also recently been honoured in the 2010 New Year's Honours List for his services to medicine. Professor Adrian Newland, consults at BMI The London Independent Hospital and, was made a Commander of the British Empire (CBE). Professor Newland's main research interests are in the fields of Leukaemia and Immuno-haematology - the study of the immune system in patients with blood disorders. His NHS department and laboratory atBarts Hospital are the main referral centre in the UK for the treatment of and research into autoimmune disorders of the blood.
Commenting on the CBE, Professor Newland says, 'It is a pleasure to be recognised in this way and in particular for services to medicine. I would not have been able to achieve what I have without the staunch support of the College and the Trust and I am grateful to them for that. I feel my award reflects not only my own efforts but is recognition of the tremendous advances in teaching, research and patient care in the East End that I and all my colleagues have been part of.'