Dr Alex Horton
MBBS, BSc, MRCP, FRCR
Practices at: BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital
Training and Appointment
Dr Horton completed an undergraduate BSc degree in Pharmacology in 1997, graduating with 1st class honours from University College London. He went on to gain his MBBS at the same university and qualified in 2000.
After completing the MRCP in 2003, Dr Horton started Radiology training at St George’s Hospital, London in 2004. This included periods at Great Ormond Street Hospital, Atkinson Morley Hospital and the Royal Marsden. Alex completed the FRCR (Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists) examination, set by the Royal College of Radiologists in the UK, in 2007 and then progressed to complete an interventional Radiology Fellowship at St George’s Hospital between 2008 and 2010.
Dr Horton has trained in cross sectional and interventional radiology and has a particular interest in uro and hepatobiliary radiology. He is the provider of multiparametric (diffusion) MRI of the prostate for the non-invasive diagnosis of prostate cancer. He also performs all aspects of interventional radiology, including all image-guided procedures and Portacath insertion.
His vascular radiology interests include CT and MRI peripheral angiography, coronary artery CT angiography and calcium scoring. In his NHS practice, he is also the lead radiologist for chemoembolisation (TACE) for liver cancer and radioembolisation (SIRT); he is the lead for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC); for pancreatitis and for prostate and bladder cancer. He sat on the NICE pancreatitis guideline committee and is a core member of the hepatobiliary MDT at the Royal Surrey County Hospital.
Dr Horton is available twice weekly at Mount Alvernia Hospital and can perform the following procedures:
- Port-a-cath insertion and vascular access
- All image-guided biopsy and drainage
- Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiogram (PTC) and biliary stenting
- Percutaneous nephrostomy and ureteric stenting
- Chemoembolisation (TACE) for HCC
- Radioembolisation (SIRT) for liver metastases
- Image-guided microwave ablation and nanoknife ablation
- Varicocele embolisation
- Trans-jugular liver biopsy and wedge pressure measurement
- All transarterial embolisation including emergency embolisation.
Training and Research
Dr Horton is a college tutor for Kent, Surrey and Sussex Radiology trainees and examiner for the FRCR.
- Uro-radiology including multiparametric MRI prostate
- Hepatobiliary diagnostic and interventional radiology
- Interventional Oncology treatments particularly TACE, SIRT and ablation
- Cardiac CT and calcium scoring
- All image-guided biopsy and drainage procedures
- Venous access (port-a-cath, PICC line)
- Royal College of Radiologists
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Society of Interventional Radiology
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe
- Radiological Society of North America
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)