Mr Amjid Ali
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
MB ChB FRCSEd(Tr & Orth)
Practices at: BMI Thornbury Hospital
In January 2008 he was appointed to Sheffield Teaching Hospitals as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in shoulder and elbow surgery.
Amjid provides a specialist assessment and treatment service for most problems of the shoulder including arthritis, subacromial impingement, rotator cuff problems, frozen shoulder and instability.
In relation to elbow problems, Amjid provides a specialist assessment and treatment service for arthritis, stiffness, Tennis/Golfer’s elbow, elbow instability and ulnar nerve compression.
A significant part of Amjid’s work involves treating complex shoulder and elbow injuries in patients from Sheffield and the surrounding area.
Teaching and Training
Amjid is actively involved in teaching and training. His experience includes:
- Examiner for The Intercollegiate Specialty Examination in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery
- Supervise a highly regarded and popular Surgical Fellowship for Senior Trainees who wish to develop their skills in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- Previously Course Director for Royal College of Surgeons Shoulder Arthroscopy Course for 4 years.
- Convener of the Sheffield Upper Limb Summer University--for consultants and Registrars from around the UK
- Faculty member on The Sheffield/Chesterfield Clinical Examination Course teaching Registrars in preparation for the FRCS (Trauma and Orth) exam.
- Teaches on regional, national and international Upper Limb courses for Consultants who wish to specialise in Shoulder & Elbow surgery, Trainees and Allied Health Professionals.
- Awarded the British Elbow and Shoulder Society Travelling Fellowship to visit The Mayo Clinic in the USA.
Research and Publications
Amjid has undertaken research into shoulder and elbow problems which has been published in peer reviewed journals and he has presented this work both nationally and internationally.
His publications include:
- Outcomes following revision of the revision total elbow arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Nov(19)
- Revision total elbow arthroplasty: Is it safe to perform a single-stage revision for presumed aseptic loosening based on clinical assessment, normal inflammatory markers, and a negative aspiration?
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2021 Jan;30(1):140-145
- The Provision of Primary and Revision Elbow Replacement Surgery in the NHS. Shoulder Elbow. 2018 Oct;10(2 Suppl):S5-S12
- Heterotopic ossification following total elbow arthroplasty. A comparison of the incidence following elective and trauma surgery. Bone Joint J. 2018 Jun 1;100-B(6):767-771
- Surgical treatment of Monteggia variant fracture dislocations of the elbow in adults: surgical technique and clinical outcomes. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. April 2017 7:1953-5
- The Sheffield bone block procedure: a new operation for the treatment of glenoid bone loss in patients with anterior traumatic shoulder instability. Shoulder & Elbow April 2016 8: 106-110
- Total Elbow Arthroplasty in non-rheumatoid patients with distal humeral fractures: a minimum ten-year follow-up. Bone Joint J February 2016;98 B:381–6
- Surgical interventions for treating fractures of the olecranon in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014 Nov 26; (11): CD010144.
- Early experience of managing proximal humerus fractures with the S3 plate: Shoulder and Elbow. 2011 Oct:3(4):215-218
- Total Elbow Arthroplasty for Distal Humeral Fractures: indications, surgical approach, technical tips and outcome. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2010 Mar;19(2 Suppl):53-8
- Distal biceps tendon rupture. A new repair technique using the biotenodesis screw. Am J Sports Med. 2009 Oct;37(10):2009-15. Epub 2009 Jun 22.
- Revision surgery for nonunion and early failure of fixation of fractures of the distal humerus. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005 Aug;87(8):1107-10.
- Treatment of Primary Degenerative Arthritis of the Elbow by Ulnohumeral Arthroplasty A Long Term Follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 2003;85-B:347-350.
- An overview and challenges of revision total elbow arthroplasty: Orthopaedics and Trauma. Vol 34 Issue 4 August 2020 P. 235-243
- Examination of the Elbow: Advanced Examination Techniques in Orthopaedics 2013.
- Clinical evaluation of elective problems in the adult elbow. Oxford Textbook of Trauma and Orthopaedics. P. 377-380
- The Treatment of Adult Monteggia Fracture-Dislocations. Operative Elbow Surgery. P.347-356
Amjid has invented a set of surgical instruments which are used in elbow replacement surgery.
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Shoulder impingement
- Shoulder pain
- Frozen shoulder
- Shoulder surgery
- Shoulder decompression
- Shoulder stabilisation
- Rotator Cuff repair
- Shoulder Injuries
- Clavicle fractures
- Shoulder resurfacing
- Shoulder replacement
- Elbow Injuries
- Tennis elbow
- Elbow surgery
- Degenerative elbow disorders
- Elbow Replacement
- Elbow pain
- Nerve compression
- Revision elbow replacement surgery.
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)