Mr Desai completed his Orthopaedics training from India and obtained further higher surgical training in Trauma and Orthopaedics from Northern Deanery, Newcastle.
He secured MSc in Trauma and Orthopaedics from UCLAN, Preston and was first candidate to obtain MCh in Trauma and Orthopaedics from Edge Hill University. He undertook his specialist training in Shoulder and Elbow surgery from the world-renowned Upper limb unit at Wrightington hospital.
His areas of special interest and expertise is in treating sports related injuries, arthritis and complex trauma of Shoulder and Elbow. He performs most of the procedures by keyhole surgery under regional anaesthesia as day cases. He has pioneered doing shoulder replacements as day cases in the NHS Trust and region.
He has presented more than 50 papers at national and international meetings and published 30 papers and few book chapters in his speciality.
Mr Desai teaches on orthopaedic courses and is actively involved in training junior doctors and medical students. He is a Hon Sr Lect at both Sheffield and Hull Yorkshire Medical school. He has been appointed as Royal college Regional Surgical Advisor and Foundation training Programme Director.
Mr Desai was awarded the iWantGreatCare Certificate of Excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care, reflected in the 5-star rating awarded to him on this review site by his patients.
- Sports injuries of the shoulder and elbow and treating conditions such as rotator cuff tears, instability, frozen shoulder and impingement.
- Joint replacement of the shoulder and elbow for arthritis and trauma.
- Carpal and Cubital tunnel syndrome
- British Orthopaedic Society
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- British Orthopaedics Sports Trauma and Arthroscopy Association
- British Indian Orthopaedic Society
- Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh