Mr Assad Jalil is a Consultant Ophthalmologist, Vitreo-retinal Surgeon and Uveitis Specialist at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital. He has received comprehensive general ophthalmic surgical training from Manchester before undergoing further sub-specialist training in the dual fields of Surgical and Medical Retina and Uveitis.
Mr Jalil has extensive experience in all aspects of latest vitreoretinal surgery including 23G, 25G and 27G pars plana vitrectomies for conditions such as retinal detachment, floaters, macular holes, epiretinal membranes and diabetic retinopathy. His surgical expertise also encompasses simple and complex cataract surgery. In addition, he is an expert in complex, sight-threatening ocular inflammatory disorders (uveitis) especially in the use of immunosuppressive medications and vitrectomy in dealing with this condition. He regularly audits his practice to ensure the highest standards of quality of care.
In addition to his clinical expertise, Mr Jalil is actively involved in research. He is part of the team at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital which is pioneering research into various retinal diseases, including participating in the gene therapy trials for retinal disorders.
Mr Jalil has co-authored 3 book chapters in addition to more than 25 publications in peer-reviewed ophthalmic journals. He regularly presents at national and international meetings. He is the supervisor of the well renowned Manchester Clinical Vitreo-retinal fellowship as well as the Retinal Research fellowship at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, and is involved in training vitreo-retinal surgeons from all over the world.
The procedures undertaken by Mr Jalil include:
- Simple and complex Cataract surgery
- Pars plana vitrectomy
- Retinal detachment surgery including scleral buckling
- Macular hole surgery
- Surgery for removal of epiretinal membranes
- Vitrectomy for diabetic eye disease
- Vitrectomy to remove vitreous floaters
- Vitrectomy to diagnose and treat uveitis and its complications
- Intravitreal injections for wet age-related macular degeneration, diabetic macular oedema and retinal vein occlusions
- Laser capsulotomy
- Laser iridotomy
- Laser treatment for retinal tears
- Laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy and retinal vein occlusion