Carrie undertook her higher surgical training in Ireland, East Grinstead, Brighton and Guildford. She was appointed as a Consultant to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford in 2003, and held the post of Clinical Director from 2006 to 2010. In 2007 and in 2010, she received an NHS Clinical Excellence award. She is the co-author of the prestigious Oxford Specialist Handbook of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, published in 2009.
Carrie holds several national posts including Specialty Advisor for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery to the NHS Choices website.
- Editorial Advisor to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Invited member of Intercollegiate Board of Examiners for the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons, writing questions and standard setting for the specialty.
- National Clinical Lead for the Department of Health e-Learning project in OMFS.
- Author and co-author of numerous publications in peer reviewed journals. Carrie is the Lead Chapter author, “Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer” in the UK Consensus Guidelines in Head and Neck Cancer published in 2011.
- In 2011, she was awarded the BAOMS Surgery Prize, “A prize and medal awarded annually, which will be considered a high honour, to be awarded to a person or persons who are adjudged to have made a major contribution to Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the widest sense.”, by the British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, at the Royal College of Surgeons.
- Carrie regularly delivers educational talks to local Dentists and Doctors, and lectures to national groups. She maintains an interest in all aspects of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery including the removal of wisdom teeth, specialising in the management of facial skin lesions, and in oral mucosal problems.