Dr Costantino Pitzalis
MD, PhD, FRCP
Practices at: BMI The Sloane Hospital
He qualified in medicine in Italy in 1983. In 1985, following his early clinical training, he came to the UK as a Research Fellow to the Department of Rheumatology at Guy's Hospital. Here he started his academic career carrying out research in rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis for four years that lead to a PhD at the University of London.
He then went back to full time clinical training in general medicine in the UK, gaining the MRCP in 1992. He returned to the Department of Rheumatology at Guy's in 1993 as the Arthritis Research Campaign Lecturer/Senior Registrar. In 1996, he was awarded a Senior Lectureship-Career Development Award by the Wellcome Trust and in 2000 he was conferred the Chair of Experimental Rheumatology at King's College London School of Medicine.
In May 2007 Professor Pitzalis was recruited to Barts and The London School of Medicine to head the new Centre for Experimental Medicine and Rheumatology. In July 2008 he was appointed Director of the Musculoskeletal Clinical Academic Unit by Barts and the London NHS Trust combining academic and clinical duties to integrate research into service delivery to improve patient care and in compliance with Department of Health policy: “best research for best health”.
In 2016, he was appointed Deputy Director of the William Harvey Research Institute. In November 2018, he was appointed Chair of the NIHR (NOCRI) Joint & Inflammatory Related Diseases Translational Research Collaboration.
His clinical interests encompass general rheumatology with a focus on immune/inflammatory rheumatic diseases, including rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis as well as other autoimmune rheumatic conditions (CTDs & Sjogren’s Syndrome) and osteoarthritis.
He has personally led the development from scratch of the Barts Inflammatory Arthritis Centre supported by 5 Academic Consultants, 4 Clinical Fellows, 3 Research Nurses, 1 Bioinformatician, 1 Biostatistician, 1 IT & 1 Clinical Trials Manager and state-of-the-art 3D ultrasound technology.
Teaching and Training
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR)
- Member Heberden Committee, British Society for Rheumatology (BSR)
- Member Research Grant Committee: Arthritis Research UK
- Board Member Comprehensive Local Research Network (CLRN) Central & East London - National Institute Health Research (NIHR)
- Member Academic Board William Harvey Research Institute
- Member of R&D Clinical Research Board - Barts and The London School of Medicine & NHS Trust
- Member of Association of Physicians of Great Britain and Ireland
- Executive Board Member of GRAPPA (Group for Research and Assessment of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis)
- PhD Examiner University of London
- Member of the British Society for Rheumatology
- International Fellow of American College of Rheumatology
- Member of the British Society of Immunology
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)