Dr Dan Augustine
BSc, MBBS, MRCP
Practices at: BMI Bath Clinic
He has expertise in Sports cardiology / exercise prescription; general cardiology; cardiac imaging; coronary angiography and pulmonary hypertension.
He specialises in cardiovascular imaging and is one of a few cardiologists in the UK accredited in advanced heart ultrasound scans (echocardiography) and cardiac MRI. In addition to imaging, Dan also specialises in invasive cardiology (diagnostic coronary angiography and pulmonary hypertension).
Dan qualified in 2002 from St Bartholomew’s and the Royal London Medical School and completed his cardiology training in the South West. He has undertaken a cardiovascular imaging research fellowship at the University of Oxford, leading to his MD degree.
Dan is the author and editor of several national and international cardiology textbooks. This, in combination with his role for the BSE, means that he stays up-to-date with contemporary practice, using the latest evidence and guidelines. It allows Dan to give a modern and expert opinion on a wide range of cardiological presentations including:
- Chest pain
- Heart murmurs, valve disease
- Heart risk factor management (such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure)
- Heart rhythm symptoms (palpitations, atrial fibrillation)
- Episodes of altered consciousness (blackouts or near blackouts)
Dan is one of the first cardiologists in the UK to have completed a Masters degree in Sports Cardiology (2019), St George's University, London (via scholarship). Dan provides expert cardiac sports advice, screening and assessment of symptoms to those of all abilities.
He has worked with professional-club and international athletes and also helps to advise those with underlying cardiac conditions (e.g. after a heart attack or those with heart failure) to improve their exercise capacity and provide tailored exercise prescription.
Dan was one of the authors of the National guidelines on the screening of sports participants, published in 2018. This was a joint position paper from the British Society of Echocardiography and the charity Cardiac Risk In The Young.
- Echocardiography (including transthoracic, dobutamine stress echocardiography and transoesophageal echocardiography)
- Cardiac MRI
- Sports Cardiology and exercise prescription to those with cardiac conditions
- Diagnostic angiography
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Valve disease
- Assessment of breathlessness and management of heart failure
- Chest pain assessment and treatment
- Palpitations / arrhythmias
- Altered conscious levels (blackouts or near blackouts)
- British Society Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- British Society of Echocardiography
- Royal College of Physicians
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and 6 months' aftercare
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)