Mr Dipankar Chattopadhyay
Consultant General Surgeon
MBBS, MS, FRCSEd, MD
Practices at: BMI The Manor Hospital
Mr Chattopadhyay is a Consultant General Surgeon with a specialist interest in benign upper GI surgery. He holds regular clinics at Bedford Hospital and at BMI The Manor Hospital in Biddenham, Bedford where he sees self-funding, insured and NHS patients. Mr Chattopdhyay completed his training and undergraduate degree at Calcutta University in India where, after obtaining his MBBS qualification (Master of Medicine and Master of Surgery), he went on to complete a three-year residency in surgery and trained to become proficient in open surgeries such as hernia repair.
After his years at University in India Mr Chattopadhyay came to the UK for further training and research work and was awarded the postgraduate Doctor of Medicine qualification for his work on the ‘Application of molecular profiling and proteomics in the management of liver cancer’.
It was also during this time that Mr Chattopdhyay joined the speciality training rotation where he was trained in all aspects of general surgery and developed his interest in benign upper GI surgery which is now his area of specialist practice.
Mr Chattopadhyay became a Consultant at Bedford Hospital in 2015 and joined the Manor Hospital in 2016. Outside of his clinical work he is also a keen trainer for surgical trainees and has a designated role of educational and clinical supervisor.
In addition to his consulting and training Mr Chattopadhyay also has a personal interest in amateur photography with nature as the favourite subject.
General surgery with special interest in benign upper GI surgery
- Cholecystectomy – laparoscopic
- Epigastric hernia repair
- Femoral hernia repair
- Gastroesophageal reflux surgery – anti-reflux surgery
- Hernia repair – inguinal (open)
- Hernia repair – paraumbilical and umbilical
- Hernia repair (TAPP) – laparoscopic
- Laparoscopic bile duct exploration
- Laparoscopic inscisional hernia
- Open incisional hernia repair
Mr Chattopadhyay has a special interest is in the surgical management of hiatal hernia and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. He is also interested in the laparoscopic and open surgical management of incisional hernia.
Mr Chattopadhyay’s areas of clinical expertise include:
- Laparoscopic and open cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic and open repair of inguinal, incisional and ventral hernias of the abdominal wall
- Anti-reflux procedures
- Laparoscopic repair of hiatal hernia and anti-reflux surgery
- Laparoscopic and open repair of incisional and ventral hernia
- Laparoscopic and open repair of inguinal and femoral hernia
- Cholecystectomy in patients aged 80 years and more following ERCP: is it necessary? RK Jain, RL Teasdale, D Chattopadhyay, B Gopinath, M Rao; European Surgery February 2016, 48, 1, pp 12–17.
- Total alimentary canal necrosis: infarction from oesophagus to anus. Mark McKelvie, Dipankar Chattopadhyay ; BMJ Case Rep 2017. doi:10.1136.
- Association of Upper GI surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (AUGIS)
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- Consultant General Surgeon at Bedford Hospital
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)