Surgical experience includes:
- British Ski and Snow Sports
- Olympic and Commonwealth athletes
- SRU National and Professional Club Rugby
- Professional Football including Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and other Premiership Clubs
- Honorary Consultant Ryder Cup
- Honorary Consultant Commonwealth Games
- Scottish Institute of Sport
- SFA Medical Advisory Committee
As well as professional sports-people Professor Mackay also treats patients who wish for an accelerated recovery simply to return to work, daily activities or exercise. Patients travel from all over the UK and overseas. The same cutting-edge technologies are applied to all, regardless of age or level of activity.
He is well known worldwide as a pioneer of ACL repair and continues to be involved in global research into ligament repair which respects natural tissues and biology and allows for early mobilisation and faster recovery. His repair technique minimises the risk of osteo-arthritis, which is a well-recognized problem with traditional reconstructions.
His combined interest in sports and medicine led to his invention and development of the InternalBrace technique which allows for natural healing with less trauma to the joint. Internal Bracing is applicable to all repairs and reconstructions acute or chronic, simple or complex. He takes great delight in the fact that a Scottish innovation is now being used in NBA, NFL, Baseball and by the surgeon for the Brazilian Football Team.
Professor Mackay also developed the Knotless System for achilles repair technique which has halved recovery time and now avoids the need for plaster immobilisation. Biologics, including the proper use of researched stem cell treatments, are also increasingly part of his practice.
Professor Mackay is a graduate of both St Andrews and Glasgow universities, he took a short career break as a professional footballer with Glasgow Rangers Reserves before returning to medicine. He won a scholarship to study sports medicine at the London Hospital Medical College London before undertaking fellowship training internationally. His post graduate MD research focused on the Mechanism and Prevention of injury in sport, in particular this work changed Scottish football practices, resulting in a reduction in the incidence of overuse injuries.
His hobbies include painting and turning out onto the football field to play for Scotland’s over-50s eleven-a-side team. With grown-up children, he and his wife Jackie enjoy staying active and exploring Scotland.
Professor Mackay does not perform knee replacement surgery.
- Ankle, knee & shoulder surgery
- Sports surgery
- Soft tissue knee, shoulder & ankle surgery/arthroscopy
- Ankle ligament reconstruction and syndesmotic repair
- Anterior cruciate ligament repair & reconstruction
- Multi-ligament knee injury
- Meniscal repair
- Shoulder stabilisation
- Rotator cuff repair
- Shoulder impingement & frozen shoulder
- Achilles repair
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- British Orthopaedic Sports Trauma Association (BOSTAA)
- Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine (BASEM)
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Glasgow) (FRCS)
- British Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (BOFAS)
- British Elbow & Shoulder Society (BESS)
- Biological Knee Society (BKS)
- Fellow of Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine (FSEM)
- Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014
- Ryder Cup, 2014
- ACL repair
- Ligament reconstruction and augmentation
- Ankle stability
- Stem cell technology
- Achilles repair
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)