Dr Baker is a consultant gastroenterologist who specialises in the diagnosis and management of the full spectrum of gastrointestinal and liver disease. He has full Joint Advisory Group (JAG) accreditation for both upper and lower GI diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, and he regularly performs these procedures as part of his routine practice. He has an interest in advanced endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and his sub-speciality interest is Hepatology. He works as a full-time NHS consultant for Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust and undertakes his private practice at BMI The Droitwich Spa Hospital.
He offers a non-invasive transient elastography (FibroScan®) measurement as part of an assessment into overall liver heath. This helps determine the presence of liver fibrosis or cirrhosis; a condition known to have both long-term liver-related health consequences that is also strongly associated with significant cardiovascular risk for example; heart attack and stroke. He also offers endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR), colonoscopy and polypectomy. Dr Baker provides an expert opinion for patients presenting with any GI or liver complaint and is acutely aware of the impact that these conditions can have on an individual's quality of life. He strives for a holistic and individualised approach in an effort to optimise the care he provides focusing on each of his patient's specific needs.
He completed his undergraduate medical training at the University of Birmingham Medical School in 2009, consistently performing in the higher quartiles compared with his peers. He has obtained full membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) and the Speciality Certificate Examination (SCE) in Gastroenterology.
The breadth of experience gained from exposure to multiple different institutions during his career has been invaluable. A full year included working alongside world-leading liver transplant clinicians at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, one of the largest liver transplant units in Europe.
This provided him with a strong foundation of knowledge and confidence to manage liver transplant recipients and highlighted the benefits of high quality, internationally leading research and how this can transform day-to-day patient care. He continues to offer this specialist input by maintaining strong personal and professional links through collaborative working with clinicians at this tertiary centre.
Throughout his undergraduate and postgraduate medical career Dr Baker has taken every opportunity to immerse himself in audit, quality improvement and collaborative research. His work has been published in peer-reviewed journals and presented orally, and in poster format, at a range of regional, national and international conferences.
He continues his enthusiasm to stay abreast of the latest clinical advances in his field through regular engagement with the academic literature and regular speciality conference attendance. This enables him to offer all of his patients the latest evidence-based care.
Obtainment of a post-graduate qualification in medical education (PGCert MedEd) is a demonstration of his commitment to teaching and sharing his medical knowledge and experience with others. He regularly enjoys contributing to and delivering both undergraduate and post-graduate teaching sessions and considers this an essential component to his clinical practice and continued professional development.
- Hepatology (liver medicine) including transient elastography measurement (FibroScan®)
- Bowel conditions; including inflammatory bowel disease (Ulcerative colitis/Crohn’s disease), colorectal (bowel) cancer, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Coeliac disease
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) and related upper GI conditions
- Diagnostic & therapeutic upper (OGD) and lower GI endoscopy (Colonoscopy)
- Advanced endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- Diagnostic Gastroscopy (OGD)
- Gastroscopy + oesophageal stricture dilatation
- Gastroscopy + banding of oesophageal varices
- Gastroscopy + PEG insertion/removal + feeding tube placement
- Therapeutic Gastroscopy for bleeding lesion inc. ulcer, varices, GAVE
- Diagnostic colonoscopy
- Diagnostic flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Therapeutic colonoscopy + flexible sigmoidoscopy with removal of polyps (polypectomy) inc. EMR (Endoscopic Mucosal Resection)
- Diagnostic & therapeutic abdominal paracentesis for ascites
- Transient elastography (FibroScan) for the non-invasive assessment of liver fibrosis
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- Royal College of Physicians (RCP)
- British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG)
- British Association for the Study of the Liver (BASL)
- Midland Gastroenterological Society (MGS)
- Medical Defence Union (MDU)
- Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association (HCSA)
Current NHS and /or University Posts