Mr Christakis is a Consultant Endocrine and General Surgeon in Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust. He is board certified in Endocrine and General Surgery: FRCS and FEBS(Endo), registered from 2012 in Specialist Registry of GMC in General Surgery.
He is the Clinical Lead for the Department of Endocrine Surgery of Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust.
Mr Christakis manages all forms of benign and complex cancer cases for Endocrine Surgery (thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal) having trained in some of the most prestigious Endocrine Surgery Units in UK and in the USA (MD Anderson Cancer Centre).
Mr Christakis uses minimally invasive techniques for parathyroidectomies and adrenalectomies (laparoscopic). He consistently uses recurrent laryngeal nerve monitoring and preoperative fibreoptic laryngoscopy for all thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy operations.
His operating experience in thyroidectomies is >800, in parathyroidectomies is >400 and in adrenalectomies >150. His surgical outcomes are well within the national standards as evidenced in the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons National Audit.
Mr Christakis has a strong interest in research and has completed 2 Master’s degrees, a research Doctorate degree and a post-doctoral Fellowship. He was appointed Honorary (Clinical) Assistant Professor in the University of Nottingham in 2021.
He has initiated multi-institution and multi-national collaborations that resulted in high quality peer-reviewed articles. He has also published/been co-author in 45 peer-reviewed articles and presented 58 studies in Meetings/Courses. He has successfully secured grant funding and served as a coordinator for human clinical trials.
Parathyroid operations for:
- Normocalcemic and normohormonal hyperparathyroidism
- Bilateral neck explorations (non-localised/negative preoperative scans)
- Redo-parathyroidectomy after previously failed neck exploration (persistent or recurrent hyperparathyroidism)
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy
- Parathyroid operation for parathyroid cancer
- We also offer parathyroid operations for secondary/tertiary hyperparathyroidism.
Thyroid operations for:
- Thyroid cancer (papillary, follicular, medullary)
- Rare and genetic diseases including Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia (MEN 1 and MEN2)
- Thyroid nodules (retrosternal goitre)
- Neck lumps
- Graves' disease / thyrotoxicosis
Adrenal operations for:
- Adrenal nodules
- Cushing's syndrome (Hypercortisolism)
- Conn's syndrome (Hyperaldosteronism)
- Extra-adrenal abdominal paraganglioma
- Adrenal malignancies
- British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons
- American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons