Mr James Bedford
Consultant Plastic & Hand Surgeon
MBChB(Hons), MRes(Ed), MSc, FRCS(Plast), BrDipHandSurg
Practices at: BMI The Alexandra Hospital
Mr Bedford has a broad practice encompassing many areas of plastic, reconstructive and hand surgery. He has been senior clinical advisor to the NHS National Getting It Right First Time (GIRFT) programme for plastic and hand surgery, and leads the North West’s largest NHS local anaesthetic hand trauma service at Withington Hospital (WALANT / wide awake hand surgery), which was developed in response to the COVID pandemic.
His special interests are in children’s hand surgery and reconstruction of the paralysed upper limb. The latter includes patients with brachial plexus injuries, spasticity due to cerebral palsy, stroke or brain injury, and patients with nerve injury or compression. He is a core member of the Greater Manchester Peripheral Nerve and Brachial Plexus Service at Wythenshawe Hospital, and runs the Children’s Hand, Elbow and Shoulder Surgery (CHESS) clinics, caring for children with congenital upper limb differences, with colleagues at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital and the Specialised Ability Centre. He also treats common hand conditions including arthritis, trauma / injuries, Dupuytren’s, trigger fingers, nail problems, and lumps, bumps & ganglions.
Outside of hand surgery, Mr Bedford frequently collaborates with surgeons in diverse specialties including orthopaedics, neurosurgery, general surgery and cardiothoracics for patients who require complex soft tissue reconstruction.
Mr Bedford has an NHS practice at Wythenshawe Hospital and Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, and consults privately at the BMI Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle.
- Dupuytren’s disease including percutaneous needle fasciotomy / aponeurotomy, surgical fasciectomy and revision surgery
- Arthritis of the fingers and thumb including small joint replacement
- Carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome
- Reconstruction after hand and upper limb trauma
- Trigger fingers, lumps, bumps and ganglions
- Peripheral nerve surgery including nerve repair & reconstruction, brachial plexus problems, nerve tumours and spasticity
- Surgery for skin cancer
- Current chair, North West Society for Hand Surgery (NWSHS)
- General Medical Council, on the Specialist Register for Plastic Surgery and a recognised surgical trainer
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH)
- British Association for Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS)
- British Burns Association (BBA)
- British Association for Hand Therapy (BAHT)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- Medical Protection Society (MPS)
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)