Professor James David Forbes Calder
Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon
TD, MD, PhD, FRCS(Tr&Orth), FFSEM(UK)
Practices at: BMI The Hampshire Clinic
James works with international athletes and sports professionals including Barclays Premier League soccer teams, Paris St Germain, FC Barcelona, AC Milan and Aviva Premiership rugby clubs in addition to the British Olympic team, British athletics, gymnastics, hockey, netball and sailing, England cricket, rugby and soccer. He also looks after patients from the Royal Ballet, Covent Garden and Birmingham Royal Ballet and is Medical Advisor to Dance UK.
James spent a year as foot ankle fellow to Dr Terry Saxby in Brisbane and was awarded a travelling sports orthopaedic fellowship in the USA. James was appointed Consultant at the North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke in 2002, moved to the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in 2010 and is Professor in the Department of Bioengineering Imperial College, London.
James remains actively involved in research projects at Imperial College and the Fortius Clinic, London of which he was a founding member. He is President of ESSKA-AFAS and immediate Past-Chairman of the Achilles Tendon Study Group. He is Specialty Editor at the Bone and Joint Journal and was Associate Editor of Knee Surgery, Sports, Traumatology and Arthroscopy (KSSTA) Journal until 2014. He served on the Clinical Studies Group for Arthritis Research UK from 2011 and has been Medical Adviser to Dance UK since 2012. His main areas of research include Achilles tendon, articular cartilage and sports-related ankle and foot injuries. He has developed a major clinical interest in the arthroscopic treatment (keyhole surgery) of ankle conditions and sports-related foot and ankle injuries.
Recent and current appointments:
- Associate Editor and Editorial Board of The Bone & Joint Journal.
- Former Associate Editor and Editorial Board, Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy Journal (KSSTA).
- Chairman International Achilles Tendon Study Group.
- Vice President ESSKA - AFAS (The European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy).
- Medical Advisor, UK Dance.
Publications, lectures and teaching:
- International lecturer on foot and ankle surgery and sports injuries
- Regular Instructional Course Lecturer for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- More than 100 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Authored 30 book chapters and editor of several books.
- British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.
- European Society for Sports Surgery Knee Arthroscopy (ESSKA).
- International Cartilage Repair Society.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.
- Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society.
- All aspects of adult foot and ankle disorders
- Sports injuries to the foot and ankle
- Foot and ankle trauma
- Bio-engineering, Imperial College London
- British Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
- British Orthopaedic Association
- American Foot & Ankle Society
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)