Mr Jim McCourtney
Consultant General Colorectal Surgeon
BSc, MB ChB,FRCS (Glas),FRCS (Gen Surg), MD
Practices at: BMI Ross Hall Hospital
He was awarded the higher degree of MD in 1998 for research carried out in small bowel motility in ileoanal pouch patients. He was appointed Consultant Colorectal Surgeon to the Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley in July 1999. Since December 2007 he has worked in full-time private practice as Scotland's first independent colorectal surgeon.
In addition to an extensive practice in colonoscopy and proctology, with a special interest in haemorrhoids, he has a busy complex colorectal surgical practice. He performs OPEN complex major and major resections for colorectal cancer, diverticular disease, neuroendocrine gut tumours, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease exclusively at Ross Hall Hospital in Glasgow.
He performs the majority of private complex major colorectal operations at Ross Hall Hospital.
In January 2007 Mr McCourtney was the first surgeon in Scotland to perform the HALO procedure for haemorrhoids and in May 2018 he performed the first RAFAELO procedures in Scotland for haemorrhoids.
- Colorectal (bowel) cancer
- Bowel disease including inflammatory (IBD)
- Bowel cancer screening
- Colorectal surgery (lower GI)
- Colonoscopy (diagnostic and therapeutic; screening colonoscopy)
- Diverticular disease
- Crohn's diseaseUlcerative colitis
- Haemorrhoids ‘piles' (HALO procedure, RAFAELO procedure, open haemorrhoidectomy)
- Anal fissure
- Anal fistula
- Pilonidal sinus disease
- Radiotherapy bowel damage (radiation proctopathy)
- Rectal prolapse
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- Scottish Society of Gastroenterology
- Association of Colproctology of Great Britain & Ireland
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)