Prof James Catto
Consultant Urological Surgeon
MB ChB PhD FRCS(Urol)
Practices at: BMI Thornbury Hospital
Prof Catto trained in the UK, Australia and USA. In 2004, He obtained a PhD at Sheffield University investigating bladder cancer. This work was funded by the MRC and British Urological Foundation, and was awarded the Best Thesis in Europe by the European Urology Association (EAU) and the Bard Medal by the British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS). He was awarded the Crystal Matula by the EAU (most promising Urologist in Europe) and the Golden Telescope by BAUS. In 2019 he was awarded an NIHR Professorship.
Prof Catto is a member of the National Cancer Research Institute Committee for Bladder and Kidney Cancer, a member of The National Health Service’s Committee of Experts for Bladder and Kidney Cancer, and a member of the Scientific Congress Office of the European Association of Urology.
He is Editor in Chief of European Urology (highest impact journal across all surgical specialties) and the lead clinician for Urological Cancers for Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
Further information can also be found by visiting www.shef.ac.uk/oncology/staffprofiles/catto.
- Prostate cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- General urology
- Urinary tract symptoms
- Prostate enlargement
- PSA testing
- Haematuria (blood in the urine)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- European Association of Urology
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- British Association of Urological Surgeons - Section of Oncology
- MRC’s Molecular and Cellular Medicine board – College of Experts
- Urological Research Society
- American Association of Cancer Research
- Association of Academic European Urologists
- Bladder and Kidney Cancer Expert Group, Department of Health, NHS
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)