Mr Patel carries out the full range of treatments for oral and maxillofacial surgery, but his special interest relates to head and neck cancer and salivary gland pathology.
Mr Patel trained in both dentistry and in medicine at Liverpool University and qualified with both undergraduate degrees. Following training posts in general surgery, plastic surgery and maxillofacial surgery, he completed his higher surgical training at the head and neck unit in Liverpool.
Mr Patel is registered on the General Medical Council Specialist List and completed 20 years as a consultant at South Manchester University (NHS) Trust. He has a busy clinical practice with weekly sessions at Wythenshawe, Christie and Stepping Hill Hospital.
As a consultant having trained in the era of long hours, both in clinics and operating theatres, he has extensive surgical experience of all complex head and neck procedures. He also has "routine" operating lists in at least three hospitals each week. He has Clinical Lead for his department for the last 15 years.
Mr Patel has been elected as examiner to the Intercollegiate board in oral and maxillofacial surgery and is an academic advisor to medical students. He regularly runs teaching sessions on all aspects of oral and maxillofacial Surgery, and frequently teach on oral cancer diagnosis and screening.
- BDS / University of Liverpool, RCS Edin & Glasgow / 1980
- Dental qualification
- FDSRCS / Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh / 1986
- Dental Fellowship
- LRCP, LRCS, LRCP&S / Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh and Glasgow / 1987
- Medical qualification
- FRCS / Royal College of Surgeons, England / 1991
- General Surgical Fellowship
- CMIRCS (Ed) / Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh / 2006
- Certificate on Medical Infomatics
Current NHS posts
- Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Manchester University Foundation Trust, with additional clinical sessions at The Christie Hospital and Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport.
- Clinical Lead for Maxillofacial Surgery
- Academic Advisor to Medical Students, University of Manchester Medical School
- Examiner Intercollegiate Board in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery