After qualifying in Leeds in 1984, Mr Welch trained in general and vascular surgery in Leeds and Manchester before being appointed as Consultant General & Vascular Surgeon at Burnley General Hospital in 1998. Two years later he was invited to join the South Manchester Teaching Hospital Vascular Unit and has now worked there as a pure vascular surgeon for ten years.
In 2003 Mr Welch set up the NHS satellite vascular service for Macclesfield, and now single-handedly delivers the Macclesfield District General Hospital service, with a weekly clinic.
Mr Welch has also undertaken the following roles:
- Clinical Director of Vascular Surgery, UHSM, from 2000-2009
- Associate Medical Director for UHSM, since March 2009
- Programme Director for Quality of Core Surgery Training, North West Deanery. He is passionate about training junior doctors and is in charge of assessments for all junior surgeons in every surgical speciality in all hospitals in the North West
- UHSM representative on the Higher Surgical Training Committee, North West Deanery
- Former Royal College Tutor for Surgery, UHSM; 2006-2009
- Former Director of Infection Prevention & Control, UHSM; 2007-2009
He performs all these roles and maintains a full clinical timetable. He is committed to excellence in the assessment and management of vascular disease. Mr Welch has also written a number of research papers in the field of vascular disease.