Mr Michael Edwards
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
MBChB FRCS(Ed) FRCS(Orth) ATLS
Practices at: BMI Thornbury Hospital
ORTHOPAEDIC SURGICAL TRAINING
Oxford Regional Training Scheme 1991-1998
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford
John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
The whole of his Orthopaedic training period was spent in Oxford based at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre and the John Radcliffe Hospital. During this time he was attached to the Trauma service for 18 months and dealt with a broad spectrum of acute trauma and its subsequent complications. At the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre he underwent training in hand surgery, knee surgery, joint replacement and revision and spinal surgery. He was a Research Registrar for part of his training in The Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and published work on the prevalence of musculoskeletal pain in the community and the need for joint replacement.
During his Orthopaedic training he maintained a strong interest in medicolegal work acting on behalf of the plaintiff and defence in an approximately 50 : 50 ratio. He is experienced in medicolegal work and has been preparing on average 12 medical reports per week for the last 13 years . He also undertake clinical negligence work and lectures on medicolegal courses.
He prepares reports on work related upper limb disorders including HAVS and CTS.
He is a regular attendee of Combat Trauma Innovation Conferences and Combined Services Orthopaedic Society meetings keeps updated on the latest military trauma techniques.
He now works in Sheffield at BMI Thornbury Hospital undertaking 8-9 sessions per week including outpatients and operating theatre. He provides a choose and book service for NHS patients as well as private and medicolegal clinics.
He has regular appraisals and audit and revalidated most recently in 2020.
Served with 34 Field Hospital in Basra March-June 2003. He worked as Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery at Bassetlaw District General Hospital until 2012. During that time he operated on a broad spectrum of elective and trauma cases.
- Consultant Orthopaedic and trauma surgeon with broad experience in general and hand surgery
- Total hip and knee replacements(Cemented and Uncemented)
- Arthroscopic knee and hand surgery
- MCP joint replacements. The Arthritic hand and wrist
- Advanced internal fixation techniques hand and wrist including wrist arthroscopy
- External fixation and intramedullary long bone fixation
- Extensive trauma and reconstructive surgery experience
- Media medical historian
- Particular interest in battlefield pathology and surgical techniques
- Medical presenter for National Geographic documentary series "The Perfect Weapon" 2008
- Presenter/expert for “Mummy Forensics” series on History Channel 2008
- Presenter/expert for “Ancient Discoveries” on History Channel 2008/9
- Presenter/expert for “Inside the body of Henry V111” Flashback films April 2009
- Presenter/expert for “Mythbusters - The Man in the Iron Mask” Parthenon films 2009
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- British Medical Association
- Scientific Exploration Society
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)