Dr Muhammad Nisar
Consultant Rheumatologist & Physician
Practices at: BMI The Manor Hospital
Dr Nisar is a dual-specialist Consultant who has completed training in both Rheumatology and General Medicine. Following completion of his training and education at both Cambridge and The Royal College of Physicians in London, he now works as a Consultant Rheumatologist and Physician at Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, where he is also the Director of Research and Development.
As part of his role Dr Nisar acts as Lead Clinician for the award winning early arthritis service and drives research on biologic therapies and inflammatory arthritis associated with lung diseases. Since qualifying he has been involved in more than 60 clinical trials, has authored over 100 publications and has presented at numerous international conferences. He is also a member of various rheumatology research panels and advisory boards worldwide.
In addition to his clinical work and research Dr Nisar is Department Lead for GP education, regularly providing lectures for the CCG and medicine optimisation teams, as well as arranging bi-annual sessions for primary care physicians. He acts as mentor for professionals’ postgraduate training including extended scope physiotherapists, general practitioners and specialist nurses.
Dr Nisar lives in Bedford with his wife and two daughters and during his spare time he likes to volunteer with local charities, providing career guidance to local youth groups and health education to the public. He loves travelling, learning about different cultures and is also a keen quizzer – indeed he has won several medical quiz shows over the years.
Dr Nisar holds regular clinics at the Manor for insured and self-pay patients and will see patients without a referral letter. To book an appointment please call us on 01234 364252.
Awards & bursaries:
- Luton Clinical Excellence Award Level 7 2019
- British Society of Rheumatology Commendation prize at National Best Practice Awards 2018
- Luton Clinical Excellence Award Level 4 2017
- EULAR Bursary award for oral presentation 2017
- RCP John Glyn Bursary for service to research 2016
- BSR EULAR congress bursary for poster presentation 2015
- Luton Clinical Excellence Award Level 1 2015
- IOF Conference bursary for abstract presentation 2014
- CRN Research Nurse funding award 2013 (ongoing)
- Luton Runner up for community health provision award
- General Medical Council
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Society of Rheumatology
- Elected member of British Society of Rheumatology Registers committee since Mar 2019
- Inflammatory arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Giant cell arteritis
- Back pain
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Soft tissue disorders
- Chronic pain
- Polymyalgia rheumatica
- Collagen disorders
- Hand and wrist manual therapies
- Ankle Pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
- Finger Arthritis Treatment
- Shoulder Pain
- Pain management
- Sports injuries
- Subacrominal pain syndrome
Current NHS and /or University Posts
- Consultant Rheumatologist and Physician at Luton & Dunstable University Hospital
- Director of Research and Development at Luton & Dunstable University Hospital
Dr Nisar is the Director of Research and Development at Luton & Dunstable University Hospital. He also established the rheumatology research facility at Luton hospital with a focus on phase III and IV studies.
He has contributed extensively to clinical research including multinational biologic clinical trials (primary or co-investigator for over 40 trials). He has successfully obtained over £90,000 research grants since 2014.
Please see a full list of his publications and research profile here:
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and 6 months' aftercare
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with the BMI card and spread the cost over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)