Mrs Gordon-Bennett is a Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal Surgeon. She can see patients at BMI Goring Hall Hospital for cataract, macular hole, macular epiretinal membrane, macular degeneration, retinal detachment, vitreous floaters, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular occlusion and general ophthalmic conditions.
At Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, she is the Clinical Lead for the West Sussex Diabetic Eye Screening Program and Clinical Laser Expert. She is also actively involved in teaching and training of allied health professionals and junior doctors.
Mrs Gordon-Bennett completed her Ophthalmology training in Cambridgeshire as Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London in 2013. She then completed two Vitreoretinal fellowships in Birmingham Midland Eye Centre and Leicester Royal Infirmary in 2015. She possesses a wealth of experience in Ophthalmology having worked in several hospitals across the UK and also in Jamaica.
She has published on a range of topics in Ophthalmology, including macular hole, retinal detachment, central serous chorioretinopathy, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, and endophthalmitis.
Education and Training
- 1992 - 1997 MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery)
- Medical School- University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica
- 2007 - 2013 MRCOphth and FRCOphth
- Specialty Registrar Ophthalmology-Eastern Deanery (Cambridgeshire and Essex), UK
- 2013 - 2015 Vitreoretinal Fellowships
- University Hospitals of Leicester and Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, UK
- Ibanez-Bruron MC, Solebo AL, Cumberland PM, Rahi JS; Diabetic Eye Disease in Childhood Study (DECS) group. Vulnerabilities in diabetic eye screening for children and young people in England. Pediatr Diabetes. 2019 Nov;20(7):932-940.
- Soon Wai Ch'ng, Patel Gordon-Bennett, Guzaliya Safiullina, Partha Ray Chaudhuri. Anatomical and visual outcomes of phacoemulsification and 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomy assisted with perfluorocarbon and 27-gauge twin-chandelier endoillumination for primary rhegmatogenous retinal detachment Journal of Clinical Ophthalmology and Research, Year 2018, Volume 6, Issue 3
- Patel Gordon-Bennett, Sara Padroni, Shamfa Peart, P Ray Chaudhuri. Reoperation for unclosed large macular holes following primary vitrectomy with wide internal limiting membrane peel. Journal of Clinical Ophthalmology and Research, Year 2018, Volume 6, Issue 1[p. 26-29]
- Peart S, Ramsay A, Khan QA, Leong T, Gordon-Bennett P. Large, Spontaneous Macular Hole with Posterior Pole Detachment in a Patient with Best Vitelliform Macular Dystrophy. Case Rep Ophthalmol. 2019 Aug 6;10(2):221-226.
- Gordon-Bennett P, Poyser A, Voyatzis G, Ramirez-Florez S. Is there an association between Vogt-Koyonagi-Harada syndrome and intracranial meningioma? BMJ Case Rep. 2012 May 26;2012:bcr1120115262.
- Gordon-Bennett P, Rimmer T. Central serous chorioretinopathy following oraltadalafil. Eye (Lond). 2012 Jan;26(1):168-9.
- Gordon-Bennett P, Misra A, Newsom W, Flanagan D. Registration of visual impairment due to diabetic retinopathy in a subpopulation of Cambridgeshire. Clin Ophthalmol. 2009;3:75-9. Epub 2009 Jun 2.
- Gordon-Bennett PS, Ioannidis AS, Papageorgiou K, Andreou PS. A survey ofinvestigations used for the management of glaucoma in hospital service in the United Kingdom. Eye (Lond). 2008 Nov;22(11):1410-8.
- Gordon-Bennett P, Karas A, Flanagan D, Stephenson C, Hingorani M. A survey of measures used for the prevention of postoperative endophthalmitis after cataractsurgery in the United Kingdom. Eye (Lond). 2008 May;22(5):620-7.
- Gordon-Bennett P, Ung T, Stephenson C, Hingorani M. Misdiagnosis of angleclosure glaucoma. BMJ. 2006 Dec 2;333(7579):1157-8.