Dr Premini Mahendra
MD, FRCP, FRC Path
Practices at: BMI The Priory Hospital
Dr Prem Mahendra MD, FRCP, FRCPath is Consultant Haemato-Oncologist at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust.
She was born in Sri Lanka and had her schooling at St Barnabas and St Philip's School, Kensington, Ladies College, Colombo and St Catherine's Senior School in Twickenham. She qualified from the Medical School University of Glasgow in 1985. She trained in haematology at the Royal Marsden, Hammersmith and Addenbrookes Hospitals and was appointed Consultant Haemato-Oncologist at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham in February 1998.
On arrival there she set up the bone marrow transplant services, it is now one of the largest bone marrow transplant centres in the UK and performs over 300 transplants per year.
Her areas of clinical expertise are care of patients with blood cancer (to include lymphoma, myeloma, acute and chronic leukaemia, myelodysplasia, myeloproliferative disorders and those undergoing autologous and allogeneic stem cell transplantation and CAR-T therapy.
Her research interests are all related to clinical outcome of patients undergoing stem cell transplantation or having treatment for haematological malignancies. She has over 80 publications in peer reviewed journals.
Present roles include:
- Medical Advisory Panel Lymphoma Association
- Examiner Royal College of Pathology
- Reviewer Cancer Research
Past roles include:
- Associate Medical Director 2013 - 2020
- Chair Haematology Training Committee 2005- 2015
- Regional Specialty Advisor in Haematology 2006-2016
- Divisional Director 2007-2013
- Chair Haematology Site Specific Group, Pan Birmingham Cancer Network 2001-2003
- Clinical Service Lead in Haematology 1999-2006
- Lead Cancer Clinician 2004-2006
- Lead Clinician in Haemato-oncology 1998-2006
- Blood cancers
- Stem cell transplantation
- Acute and chronic myeloid leukaemia
- Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia
- Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia
- Myeloproliferative disorders
- Autologous stem cell transplantation
- Allogeneic stem cell transplantation
- Unrelated donor stem cell transplantation
- CART-T therapy
Royal College of Phhysicians
Royal College of Pathologists
General Medical Council
British Society of Haematology
American Society for Hematology
British Medical Asssociation
European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation
British Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation and Cellular Therapy.
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and 6 months' aftercare
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)