Mr Raj Nigam
Consultant Urological Surgeon
MBBS, MD, FRCS, FRCS (Urol), FEBU
Practices at: BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital
Training and Appointment
Mr Nigam was born in London and attended Haberdasher’s Aske’s School before graduating in Medicine from University College London. He gained his basic surgical training at University College and Middlesex Hospitals and completed an MD thesis from the Royal Postgraduate Medical School in the basic sciences of cancer metastasis. He was a Urological Registrar at St Mary’s Hospital in London followed by Senior Urological Registrar posts at St. Bartholomew’s and the Royal London Hospitals.
He was appointed as Consultant Urological Surgeon to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in 2000 and in 2009 to the Institute of Urology at University College London Hospitals. He has wide experience in all aspects of Urology including general Urology, Andrology and Urological Oncology Practice in NHS hospitals.
Mr Nigam has held several management positions including formerly as Clinical Director of Urology at Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford.
He is Educational Supervisor and trainer of postgraduate surgeons and sits on the national Selection Panel for Urological Trainees (UK).
Mr Nigam is Chairman of Quality Surveillance Teams for NHS England in Urological Oncology.
He has also served as Examiner and Lecturer on various courses including FRCS (Urol).
Mr Nigam is widely published in both urological and oncological fields. His current focus is on advanced prostate diagnostics and focal therapy for prostate cancer, minimising the side effects of prostate cancer treatments. He is involved in national and international trials of focal therapy and is conducting ongoing research in penile cancer with PET-MRI trial, basic science and clinical research projects.
In addition, Mr Nigam has medico-legal experience, having acted as an expert witness for 15 years. Throughout this time he has gained extensive experience in both defendant and claimant work.
- advanced diagnostics using multiparametric MRI followed by transperineal template and MRI-Ultrasound fusion biopsies.
Prostate Cancer treatments:
- focal therapy using High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) and cryotherapy. Active surveillance and second opinions.
- Erectile dysfunction
- Male infertility (HFEA accredited)
- Vasectomy and vasectomy reversal
- Surgical sperm retrieval
- Male hormonal problems
- Peyronie’s disease (surgical and minimally invasive treatments)
- Penile implants
- Glans resurfacing
- Buried penis
- Regional Lead for Surrey, Sussex & Hampshire, offering surgical treatments and reconstruction for localised and advanced cancers.
- Benign prostate hypertrophy (BPH) and bladder problems
- Alternative and innovative treatment for BPH
- Stone disease
- Incontinence with video-urodynamics service
- Male incontinence.
Current NHS and /or University Posts
- Royal Surrey County Hospital & University College London Hospitals
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- Section of Oncology, Endourology, Andrology and Genito-urethral Surgery
- European Association of Urology
- British Medical Association
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Fellow of the European Board of Urology
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)