Mr Ruwan Fernando
Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
MBBS MS MD MRCOG Subspecialty Accreditation in Urogynaecology
Practices at: BMI The Clementine Churchill Hospital
Mr Fernando 's specialist career spans more than 20 years. Graduating in 1990 from University of Colombo Sri Lanka with honours, he completed 3 years postgraduate training in Colombo Sri Lanka and obtained Master of Surgery (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) from University of Colombo Sri Lanka. He received his UK specialist training in Obstetrics & Gynaecology at Southend Hospital, Essex; University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent; Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds and Mayday University Hospital, Croydon, Surrey. He completed two years subspecialty training in investigation and treatment of complex bladder, bowel and pelvic floor dysfunction and is accredited as a Specialist in Urogynaecology.
Mr Fernando has done extensive research on prevention and treatment of pelvic floor damage during childbirth and was awarded a Doctor of Medicine degree from Keele University, Staffordshire for his research. He has published more than 75 peer review papers in reputed medical journals. He has won several prizes for his research including the prestigious Harold Malkin Prize for the best original research by the RCOG in 2006.
Mr Ruwan Fernando continues to broaden his already extensive experience outside of clinics and hospitals, conducting national and international workshops to teach doctors and midwives how to identify and repair perineal tears after childbirth. He is also a guest speaker at many national and international conferences where he lectures on Pelvic floor dysfunction following childbirth, Management of Urinary Incontinence and Management of Pelvic organ Prolapse.
He is the principal author the RCOG guidelines on Management of 3rd and 4th degree Perineal tears. He was a member of the RCOG Guideline committee from 2015-2018. He is a member of the RCOG Scientific Advisory Committee from 2018 to date.
- Urinary incontinence
- Vaginal Prolapse
- Recurrent cystitis
- Vaginal Reconstructive surgery
- Bladder and bowel dysfunction during pregnancy
- Perineal and pelvic floor injury following childbirth
- Management of heavy periods
- General Obstetrics & Caesarean section
- Member of British Society of Urogynaecology
- Member of International Urogynaecology Association
- Member of International Continence Society
- Medical and surgical treatment of urinary incontinence
- Treatment for vaginal prolapse including recurrent prolapse after previous surgery
- Recurrent cystitis, bladder pain
- Pelvic floor trauma
- International Urogynaecology Association
- International Continence Society
- British Society of Urogynaecology
- Royal Society of Medicine
- British Medical Association
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)