Mr Sami Hassan qualified from the University of Sheffield in 2006 with a MB ChB and a BMedSci in Surgery. He completed Foundation Training in Accident and Emergency, Trauma and Orthopaedics, and Anatomy Demonstrating in the South Yorkshire Deanery. He subsequently moved to the East Midlands (North) where he completed both Core and Higher Trauma and Orthopaedic Training Programmes, rotating through one of the country’s busiest Major Trauma Centres - Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham.
He then went on to complete prestigious fellowships in hand and wrist surgery. Both at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London, and then the world-renowned Pulvertaft Hand Centre in Derby where he worked first as the Senior Hand Fellow, and then as the Locum Consultant Hand Surgeon.
Internationally, he was honoured to be awarded the British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH) Travelling Fellowship to visit the Robert A. Chase Hand & Upper Limb Centre at University of Stanford, California. This enabled him to enhance his surgical repertoire from one of the world’s leading institutes in hand surgery.
In 2019, Mr Hassan became one of only a few surgeons worldwide that successfully completed the Postgraduate diploma in Hand Surgery from both British and the European Hand Societies, and he is now a recognised tutor for the British Diploma in Hand Surgery.
Mr Hassan holds an NHS consultant post at Northampton General Hospital NHS trust where he is the department lead for hand surgery. He also supervises junior doctors in his role of treating all aspects of Hand and Wrist surgery in both adults and children.
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH)
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Medical Protection Society
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome treatment (injections & surgery)
- Ulnar Nerve release (Cubital Tunnel syndrome, Guyon’s canal compression)
- Trigger finger/thumb treatment
- De Quervain’s disease
- Dupuytren’s disease (Minimally invasive technique – needle fasciotomy)
- Dupuytren’s disease surgery
- Arthritis of the base of the thumb
- Arthritis of the fingers, hand and wrist (both rheumatoid & osteoarthritis)
- Wrist arthroscopy (“Keyhole” surgery)
- Finger, Hand, and Wrist fractures (including scaphoid fractures, non-unions, distal radius fractures)
- Ulnar collateral ligament injury to the thumb (Skier’s thumb)
- Soft tissue injuries (including tendon and nerve injuries)
- Sports/ work related injuries
- Hand and wrist ligament reconstruction
- Overuse syndromes
- Nerve related conditions
Mr Hassan has been recognised in the field of medical research early as medical school when he was awarded the Richard Wood Travelling Scholarship for collaborative work at the University of Washington in Seattle, USA.
He publishes regularly in peer-reviewed journals, and regularly presents at national and international scientific forums. He is a reviewer for the leading hand and wrist publication: Hand.
Current NHS and/or University Posts
Consultant Trauma & orthopaedic Surgeon with Sub-specialty interest in Hand and Wrist Surgery (Northampton General Hospital)