Mr Saurabh Goyal
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
FRCS, FRCOphth, MS, DNB
Practices at: BMI The Blackheath Hospital
Mr Goyal is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at St. Thomas’ Hospital, London and Blackheath Hospital in Kent. He has special interest in Glaucoma and Cataracts.
He passionately believes that vast majority of blindness due to glaucoma can be prevented by early diagnosis and effective management. He is regularly referred patients from local optometrists, GPs, ophthalmologists and other glaucoma specialists both in the UK and abroad for a specialist glaucoma opinion and management for difficult cases.
Mr Goyal graduated with a merit award and second highest score in Ophthalmology at university after finishing high school with all four gold medals and topmost marks in school.
Mr Goyal undertook his basic ophthalmology training in the South East Thames training rotation. He then completed higher specialist training in ophthalmology in Birmingham and London.
He has undertaken two glaucoma clinical fellowships at Moorfields Eye Hospital, St. Thomas’ and King's College Hospitals and an anterior segment fellowship at St. George’s and Moorfields Eye Hospitals.
He is a principal investigator for the international landmark randomized multicentre trials for glaucoma surgery called Primary Tube versus Trabeculectomy (PTVT) study and EAGLE (Effectiveness of early lens extraction in angle closure glaucoma) study. He is also a principal investigator for other regional and national trials including TAGS study (Treatment of Advanced Glaucoma), CONCEPT study (Role of Phako Vs Phako ECP laser) etc.
Mr Goyal was awarded the Trust’s best trainer award in 2019, The Treacher Collins prize for the best video presentation at the Royal College of Ophthalmologists conference 2014 (supervising author), best regional audit presentation and a gold medal and the award for the best overall research paper at the United Kingdom and Ireland Cataract and Refractive Society (UKISCRS) annual conference.
Additional specialist training:
- Glaucoma Clinical Fellow (>1.5 years) Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 2008
- Cornea & External Disease Fellow Moorfields at St. Georges and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 2007
- Glaucoma Clinical fellow St. Thomas' Hospital and Kings College Hospital, London 2006
- Small incision phakoemulsification surgery with lens implant
- Premium lenses Multifocals (to reduce dependence on glasses) & Toric lenses (to correct astigmatism of the eyes to improve quality of vision)
- Specialist cataract surgery in Glaucoma.
- Cataract surgery combined with Endoscopic Cyclophotocoagulation (ECP Laser) to reduce the pressure & dependence on drops (www.endooptiks.com)
- Cataract surgery combined with MIGS- istent, Innfocus microshunt (Preserflo), Xen implant, KDB blade internal trabeculectomy.
- All aspects of glaucoma diagnosis, laser treatment & surgery
- Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT laser to reduce dependence on drops). Cyclodiode laser & micropulser laser in difficult glaucoma.
- Trabeculectomy surgery with mitomycin C
- Aqueous shunt implantation/Tube Surgery- Baerveldt/Ahmed valves for high-risk cases/previous failed surgery.
- Lasers in angle closure- laser iridotomy, laser iridoplasty etc.
- Stand-alone MIGS- istent, Preserflo shunt (innfocus microshunt), Xen Implant, KDB internal trabeculectomy, micropulse laser etc.
Eye Emergencies & General Ophthalmology:
e.g., ‘dry’ eyes, eye allergy, blepharitis, pterygium, red eyes, conjunctivitis, chalazion/lid lumps, corneal abrasion, contact lens related problems etc.
- (Glaucoma section) of Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), USA.
- United Kingdom and Ireland Cataract and Refractive Surgery Society (UKISCRS)
- European Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery. (ESCRS)
- United Kingdom and Eire Glaucoma Society. (UKEGS)
- International Council of Glaucoma Surgery. (ICGS)
- European Glaucoma Society. (EGS)
- Life member Glaucoma UK
- All India Ophthalmological Society. (AIOS)
- Association of Ophthalmologists (AO)
- Association of Ophthalmologists Specialist Indemnity Scheme. (AOOSIS)
- British Medical Association. (BMA)
- Website: www.eyesurgeonlondon.co.uk
Saurabh Goyal - Glaucoma - symptoms and treatment options explained
What is Glaucoma of the eye and how is it treated? In this video, ophthalmologist Mr Saurabh Goyal from The Blackheath Hospital shares important information about glaucoma, symptoms, diagnosis, and how it is treated.
Are you living with cataracts?
In this short video, Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon Mr Saurabh Goyal from BMI The Blackheath Hospital discusses cataracts and the treatment types available.
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)