Dr Shabbir Moochhala is a consultant Nephrologist and Physician with nine years' experience of consultant practice. He trained in Edinburgh and Newcastle upon Tyne, and is a consultant at a London teaching hospital and private hospitals in north London. He treats all forms of kidney disease, including acute kidney injury, glomerulonephritis, hypertension, transplantation and all forms of dialysis.
Dr Moochhala is one of very few nephrologists in specialist centres who also maintains a general medical practice. This means that he is consulted by patients with a wide variety of medical and kidney problems. Dr Moochhala also sees patients with multi-system problems or where the specialty is unclear. He always tries to address all of his patients’ medical issues and not just the kidney ones, and maintains a friendly and approachable style.
He is also an active clinical researcher. He runs international medical trials at the Royal Free Hospital, and has a sub-specialty interest in rare stone-forming conditions, renal tubular and electrolyte disorders, hypertensive disorders and Fabry disease. Of course, to be able to detect and treat rare diseases, an excellent knowledge of common diseases is also required, and Dr Moochhala has wide experience of general medicine and renal medicine, which is to the great benefit of his patients.
- Clinician and patient information on rare kidney stone disease (rarerenal.org/clinician-information)
- Magni G, Unwin RJ, Moochhala SH. Renal tubular acidosis and kidney stones: diagnosis and management. Arch Esp Urol 2021; 74 (1): 123-128
- Ferraro, P.M., Arrabal-Polo, M.Á., Capasso, G. Moochhala S et al. A preliminary survey of practice patterns across several European kidney stone centers and a call for action in developing shared practice. Urolithiasis (2019) 47: 219. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00240-019-01119-z
- Oomatia A, Dupont P, Bass P, Moochhala S. Shining a light on an unusual case of chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2018 Apr;93(4):1023-1024
- Oates T, Moochhala S. Recognition and management of acute kidney injury. Prescriber (2017) 28 (4) 17-21.
- Hoppe B, Niaudet P, Salomon R, Harambat J, Hulton SA, Van't Hoff W, Moochhala SH, Deschênes G, Lindner E, Sjögren A, Cochat P. A randomised Phase I/II trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of orally administered Oxalobacter formigenes to treat primary hyperoxaluria. Pediatr Nephrol. 2017 May;32(5):781-790. doi: 10.1007/s00467-016-3553-8. Epub 2016 Dec 6.
- Oliver KV, Vilasi A, Maréchal A, Moochhala SH, Unwin RJ, Rich PR. Infrared vibrational spectroscopy: a rapid and novel diagnostic and monitoring tool for cystinuria. Sci Rep. 2016 Oct 10;6:34737. doi: 10.1038/srep34737.
- Shavit L, Chen L, Ahmed F, Ferraro PM, Moochhala S, Walsh SB, Unwin R. Selective screening for distal renal tubular acidosis in recurrent kidney stone formers: initial experience and comparison of the simultaneous furosemide and fludrocortisone test with the short ammonium chloride test. Nephrol Dial Transplant (2016) 31 (11) 1870-76.