Mr Stephen Andrews
Consultant Urological Surgeon
BSc MB BS(Lond), FRCS(Eng), FRCS(Urol)
Practices at: BMI The Winterbourne Hospital
Mr Andrews graduated from Guy’s Hospital Medical School, London in 1990. He then became House Surgeon to Lord Professor Ian McColl at Guy’s Hospital before going to Poole General Hospital in 1991. After general surgical training in the London region and Cheltenham, he joined the Institute of Urology training programme based at University College, London. He took up a Fellowship in uro-oncology at the Royal Marsden Hospital, Chelsea. He was appointed as Consultant Urological Surgeon at Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in October 2003. He performed the first keyhole removal of a kidney cancer in West Dorset in 2006.
Mr Andrews offers a raid diagnostic pathway for elevated PSA (prostate specific antigen), haematuria (blood in urine) and urinary tract infections. He has rapid access to multiparametric prostate MRI scans followed by transperineal template biopsies of the prostate if required.
He specialises in the management of kidney, bladder, prostate and testis cancer. He performs all types of endoscopic surgery for bladder and prostate conditions as well as kidney stone disease.
He is the only surgeon locally to use the operating microscope to perform microsurgical reversal of vasectomy.
- British Medical Association
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- European Association of Urology
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- General Medical Council
Mr Andrews is the lead consultant for urology research at Dorset County Hospital. He is Principal Investigator for several trials including kidney (SORCE) and bladder cancer (BOXIT). He is also involved in the genetics study for prostate cancer at the Royal Marsden Hospital. He has published articles in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) and presented at International meetings in the USA (AUA) and Europe (EAU).
- Urological cancers – kidney, bladder, prostate and testis cancers
- Laparoscopic kidney and adrenal surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Investigation of elevated PSA
- Transperineal template guided biopsies of the Prostate
- Investigation and management of haematuria (blood in urine)
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- Holmium Laser Prostate surgery (HoLEP)
- Lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS)
- General problems related to penis/scrotum
- Recurrent urinary tract infections; UTIs
- Investigation of haematospemia (blood in semen)
- Urinary stone disease – treatment and prevention
- Laser stone surgery
- Percutaneous renal stone surgery (PCNL)
- Lithotripsy / Shockwave ESWL
- Urethral stricture disease
- Erectile dysfunction
- Peyronie’s disease
- Microsurgical reversal of vasectomy
- Multiparametric MRI scan of the Prostate and avoidance of unnecessary transrectal biopsy
Current NHS and /or University Posts
Dorset County Hospital
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)