Dr Vinod Elangasinghe
MBBS, FRCP, MRCP Derm UK
Practices at: BMI Thornbury Hospital
Following completion of MBBS in 2001 Dr Elangasinghe has worked in various parts of UK (Ayrshire, Mid Wales, Yorkshire, Norfolk and Leicestershire) as part of his medical and specialist training. He completed UK medical physician training by obtaining the Membership of the Royal College of Physicians in 2007 (MRCP). During these 6 years he gained a vast amount of general medical experience (including intensive care, cardiology) which is a bit more than routine training and he is renowned for this expertise in medical dermatology as most skin conditions/ rashes have connections to internal medical problems.
Having obtained Joint Royal College Training accreditation in 2010 (MRCP Derm UK) Dr Elangasinghe was appointed as a full time NHS consultant in Dermatology in 2011 as soon as his training was finished.
Dr Elangasinghe was appointed a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) in 2014.
Dr Elangasinghe has authored many publications in Dermatology and presented at national and international conferences.
Positions held in the past
- Consultant Dermatologist, Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS FT (2011-2016)
- Skin Cancer MDT Lead, North Derbyshire, Chesterfield (2014-2016)
- Vice chair- Skin Cancer NSSG, South Yorkshire and Humber (2014-2016)
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Sheffield (2012-2016)
Dr Elangasinghe maintains the most uptodate knowledge and experience in treating skin diseases ranging from skin cancer to rashes (inflammatory skin disease). He also has a special interest in science and the biology behind hair disorders. He is a clinician who uses a mixture of most advanced, novel treatments along with older well trusted ones in providing patients with a range of treatment options.
- Moles and Suspicious skin lesions
- Skin cancer
- Skin surgery
- Laser skin surgery
- Acne/ spots/ pimples
- Skin tags
- Infections of skin
- Cysts, lipomas
- Birth marks, blemishes
- Age and liver spots
- Pigmentation problems
- Hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating)
- Scarring (mild or severe) from acne scars, post traumatic scars, unsightly surgical scars and keloids
- Hair problems (thinning, losing hair or other problems) and alopecia
- Allergic skin problems (allergy/ patch testing offered for patients 3 years and over)
- Childrens’ skin problems (Paediatric Dermatology)- eczema being the commonest
- Red face/ Rosacea and thread veins (you may or may not have other symptoms)
- Rashes that you are struggling to get a diagnosis
- Chronic non healing leg ulcers
Other than the above areas Dr Elangasinghe he also provides regular diagnostic, surgical and laser services for the following conditions:
- Birth mark treatment from laser
- Blemishes and redness from Rosacea reduction from laser
- Wart removal options with liquid nitrogen, surgery, laser or immunotherapy
- Pigmentation problems (melasma, post inflammatory)from peels and laser
- Alopecia using injections of steroids or contact immunotherapy
- Benign skin lesions causing you trouble due to placement, catching, irritation or appearance (lumps, growths, skin tags, cysts) - surgical removal under local anaesthetic
- Vitamin D pathways in cells and how they will effect inflammation in chronic skin disease
- Pus and boil forming skin diseases
Dr Elangasinghe is also known for his ability to explain complex medical problems in a very understandable way to the patient and plan treatments together.
A GP letter is not essential to see Dr Elangasinghe but a comprehensive history of the condition, relevant and non-relevant past medical history and all medications current and past are hugely appreciated in order to give the best treatment plans.
Some of the words and phrases used by his patients to describe him are “friendly, understanding, very thorough, neat and meticulous, caring, has time for you, always with a smile”.
- Fellow- Royal College of Physicians, London
- Fellow- Royal Society of Medicine
- Member- British Association of Dermatologists
- Member- British Association of Paediatric Dermatologists
- Member- North of England Dermatology Society
- Member- British Hair and Nail Society
Dr Elangasinghe is a co-editor to the Clinical and Experimental Dermatology Journal
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)