Mr Zafar Naqui
Consultant Hand and Wrist Surgeon
MB BS, BSc (Hons), MRCS (Eng), MSc (Orth. Engin), FRCS (Tr & Orth.), Br. Dip Hand Surg, Eur. Dip Hand Surg
Practices at: BMI The Alexandra Hospital
He has previously completed Hand and Upper Limb Fellowships at Wrightington Hospital, a Hand Plastics Fellowship at University Hospital South Manchester and the prestigious AO Fellowship in Hand Surgery at Harvard University. In addition, and have been awarded prestigious, international travelling fellowships by both the British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH) and the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH).
Mr Naqui completed a Masters degree in Orthopaedic Engineering. As a consultant he developed a super-specialist interest in Hand & Wrist, completing the British Diploma in Hand Surgery, the European Diploma in Hand Surgery (FESSH) and became the first ever surgeon to be awarded the Masters in Hand Surgery at the University of Manchester (in conjunction with the BSSH). His thesis was on scapho-lunate ligament injury management (wrist ligament injury). He is the first surgeon to hold all three accolades of the British and European diplomas in Hand Surgery, as well as the master in Hand Surgery. There are currently only two surgeons who hold these awards.
As an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Manchester, Mr Naqui enjoys a regular commitment to teaching and training which includes the teaching of undergraduates. He is a coordinator and faculty member on national and international surgical courses run by the BSSH and FESSH for both trainee and consultant hand surgeons. This includes the internationally renowned BSSH Instructional Courses in Hand Surgery. He is the convener of the BSSH cadaveric Masterclass in hand surgery courses and also an examiner for both the BSSH and FESSH Hand Diploma exams. He has published research articles in peer review journals and authored chapters in highly regarded textbooks for hand surgery.
He actively engages in the non-clinical and management aspects of working in the NHS and has been a member of Council for both the BSSH and FESSH, having been the chair of the North West Hand Surgery Society for many years. He is the lead for communications for the Journal of Hand Surgery (Eur) as well as both BSSH and FESSH.
Mr. Naqui has had dual training exposure in both Orthopaedic and Plastic Hand surgery.
His clinical interests within the Hand and Wrist include:
- Hand, wrist and thumb pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Trauma including fractures and joint injury
- Minimally invasive Dupuytrens surgery
- ‘Wide awake hand surgery’
- Invasive joint arthroscopy
- Ganglions and lumps
- Tendon problems including de Quervains
- Trigger finger/thumb.
- Examiner for British Diploma Hand Surgery (BSSH)
- Examiner for the European Board Hand Diploma (FESSH)
- Convenor of Masterclasses in Hand Surgery (BSSH)
- Committee for the Instructional Courses in Hand Surgery (BSSH)
- SM Editor for the European Journal of Hand Surgery
- Member of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons
- Clinical Director, Department of Trauma, Orthopaedic and Plastic Surgery
- Executive Committee of the Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand
- Chair of Communications Committee for British Society Surgery of the Hand
- Council member, British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Specialty Tutor for Trauma & Orthopaedics
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Manchester
- Chair Manchester Hand Society (SAS)
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)