- Men's Health
- Women's Health
- Health and Wellbeing
- Consultant Q&A's
- Editor's Choice
Everything you need to know if you’re considering cosmetic treatment.
If you want to change your appearance, there are many cosmetic treatment options to help you do it. Cosmetic surgery has become increasingly popular recently, with both men and women.
From anti-wrinkle treatments to nose jobs, liposuction to tummy tucks, there is a huge range of cosmetic procedures to choose from. If you are interested in having any kind of cosmetic treatment, this guide is a starting point to help you decide if it’s the right decision for you.
Types of cosmetic treatment
There are two main types of cosmetic procedures: surgical and non-surgical. Some of the most common and popular cosmetic procedures include nose jobs anti-wrinkle injections, dermal fillers and laser hair removal.
What happens during cosmetic surgery?
If you are interested in a surgical cosmetic procedure, bear in mind that what you will undergo is a fairly major operation. Each cosmetic surgery procedure is slightly different, but there are some things you can expect from any operation:
- An in-depth consultation. Before you decide to go ahead with any cosmetic surgery, you will meet the surgeon. This meeting is to discuss your motives for having the operation, what it involves and what you can expect from the results.
- General anaesthetic. The vast majority of surgical procedures are carried out under general anaesthetic. This means you will need to spend at least one night in hospital and then take some time off work to recover.
- Time for healing. Any operation takes its toll on your body, and after cosmetic surgery you will usually have a scar and experience some swelling or tenderness. Your doctor will advise you on how best to recover and provide you with painkillers to ease any discomfort.
Is cosmetic surgery right for me?
Before committing to any cosmetic treatment, you will have the chance to talk through any questions or concerns with your doctor. But even before that, it’s important to think carefully about whether cosmetic surgery is right for you. Asking yourself the following questions can be helpful, and it’s a good idea to write your thoughts down and discuss them with someone you trust.
- How long have I been thinking about having this cosmetic surgery?
- Has anything specific caused me to want this procedure?
- Why am I thinking about surgery now?
- Can this surgery definitely deliver the results I want?
- Are there any other ways I might be able to achieve the results I want?
- Am I considering cosmetic surgery for myself or to please someone else?1
Other things to consider
If you are dealing with a mental health issue, such as anxiety or depression, you should postpone any decision on whether or not to undergo cosmetic surgery1.
Any cosmetic surgery procedure is a serious undertaking, so it’s important to discuss your needs with an experienced consultant before committing to anything. If you do decide that cosmetic surgery is right for you, a consultation is the ideal opportunity to ask any questions you have or discuss any niggling concerns or worries. Your surgeon will be fully qualified and experienced in the procedure you are thinking about having. They will also make sure you are comfortable and don’t feel pressured into making any decision.
To find out more call us on 0808 101 0337
or make an online enquiry.