If you are based in Aberdeen, Angus or Moray, and you are having problems with your eyes or hoping to improve your vision, our specialist private eye surgery team at BMI Albyn Hospital could help.
Our private eye care team will be able to diagnose and treat a variety of eye conditions.
Do I need to see a private ophthalmologist?
If you’re experiencing any of the below symptoms, you should visit a private ophthalmologist:
- Changes in vision such as seeing spots or double vision
- Loss of vision
- Physical changes to the eye
- Changes in colour vision
- Changes in the field of vision such as shadows or blurriness
Some of the most common private eye procedures we carry out at BMI Albyn Hospital:
- Private Cataract Surgery in Aberdeen
A cataract is when the natural lens in your eye becomes cloudy. The most common cause is simply getting older. You might find you have blurred vision or changes in the focus of your eye.
If you have cataracts, new glasses may help to some extent. However, if the cataract is too advanced, surgery is the only option to restore your vision.
Cataract surgery normally takes between 20 and 30 minutes. It involves removing the affected lens and replacing it with a new, artificial lens. You can find out more about cataract surgery here.
At BMI Albyn Hospital we offer both standard and advanced cataract surgery.
- Private Glaucoma Surgery in Aberdeen
If less invasive treatments have not worked to treat your glaucoma, you may be recommended surgery.
Glaucoma surgery aims to reduce the pressure in your eye. This can be done in several ways, and your consultant will choose the technique right for you.
Although the procedure has high success rates, the pressure can build up again so you may need glaucoma surgery again at another time. You’ll find more information about glaucoma surgery here.
At BMI Albyn Hospital we offer complete management of glaucoma including laser Iridotomy and selective laser trabeculoplasty, filtering trabeculectomy surgery and newer micro-invasive surgery.
- Private Corneal Transplant in Aberdeen
The cornea is the transparent, dome-shaped outer layer at the front of your eye, through which light passes. If your cornea has become diseased and it’s affecting your vision, you may be recommended surgery.
This involves replacing all or part of the damaged cornea with a donor implant. If successful you should see improvements in your sight.
- Private Laser Eye Treatment in Aberdeen
We offer private laser eye treatments at BMI Albyn Hospital including:
- Selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT) – for glaucoma
- Capsulotomy – to improve vision after cataract surgery
- Iridotomy – to treat certain types of glaucoma
Other private eye treatments we offer include at BMI Albyn Hospital:
- Medical retina services for age related macular degeneration (ARMD) and vascular disease
- Oculoplastics for watery eye, lumps/bumps and skin tags, everted and inverted lower eyelids (ectropion and entropion), or rodent ulcers
- Dry eye treatment
- Paediatric consultations
- Adult squint surgery
- Laser capsulotomy
- Vitreoretinal surgery for retinal detachment, macular hole, epiretinal membrane
- Intravitreal therapy
Accessing private healthcare is easy, whether you choose to pay directly or use private medical insurance.
If you are paying for yourself, we can usually offer an upfront cost which you can then choose to pay in full or access one of our easy payment options.
If you have insurance, we can arrange direct settlement with your insurance provider, although you should check in advance to see if your treatment is covered. For more information, visit our private medical insurance page.