You will be offered an initial appointment with one of the specialist consultants from the Sleep and Snoring clinic. This may be with one of the:
- Ear, Nose and Throat surgeons who specialise in helping patients whose predominant problem is snoring
- Respiratory Medicine Physicians who are the experts in diagnosing and treating Obstructive Sleep Apnoea
- Consultant Psychiatrist and Sleep Disorder specialist who can help with sleep disorders such as insomnia, sleep-wake cycle disturbance, hypersomnia, parasomias, restless leg syndrome and many others.
At your initial appointment the consultant will conduct any diagnostic tests that are required. The commonly required tests are:
- Flexible laryngoscopic examination of the nose, throat and larynx. A thin, flexible tube with a fibre optic camera is used via which the doctor can thoroughly examine your nasal passages. The doctor may use a topical anaesthetic to numb the area and the test will take from 5 - 15 minutes;
- If they suspect that OSA may be a problem for you the doctor may arrange for you to take a home sleep study. You will be given full information about this test. You will be asked to perform this test for one night, at home in your own bed. It is relatively simple to do and a nurse will show you how to set up the monitor before you leave the hospital. The device allows your consultant to monitor your breathing, movements and oxygen levels while you sleep. Your recordings will then be sent from the monitor to your doctor who will analyse the results and then discuss them with you.
- A more detailed one on one consultation may be required to determine medical, emotional or environmental triggers causing insomnia or other disorders. Your consultant will discuss symptoms such as trouble getting to sleep, difficulties staying asleep, waking up too early, lack of daytime concentration, daytime drowsiness and/or mood swings.
Find out more about the treatments recommended for restful sleeping here.
To book an appointment or find out more information please call us on 01224 577 400 or make an online enquiry.