At BMI Fernbrae Hospital in Dundee, we offer a Pain Management Clinic that treats and manages acute and chronic pain.
Treating pain effectively as early as possible gives the best chance of successful long term results and minimise the impact chronic pain can have. At BMI Fernbrae Hospital Pain Management Clinic we seek to offer:
- Early assessment by a specialist consultant in pain management
- Thorough review of your problem and examination by a pain specialist
- Review of medication personalised treatment programme
- Fast access to relevant diagnostic tests
Some common chronic pain conditions we manage include:
- Lower back pain
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Headache and Migraine
- Facial pain
- Neuropathic/nerve pain e.g. persistent pain from shingles, post-surgical pain, complex regional pain syndrome and phantom limb pain
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Myofascial pain
- Abdominal wall pain
- Knee pain
There are many different treatment options available for the management of chronic pain. Some of these options include non-medical therapies such as physiotherapy, psychology and acupuncture. We find that incorporating both medical and non-medical therapies give the best results.
The most appropriate medication for your pain condition will be discussed after thorough assessment and discussion with you. Some of these include anti-inflammatories, anti-neuropathic medication and opioids.
Surgery is rarely required for many chronic pain problems. The majority of chronic pain conditions can be managed successfully with a combination of medical, physical or topical therapies. Some patients do however require more interventional approaches. These procedures typically involve injecting a combination of local anaesthetic and steroid into or around painful joints in the back, around irritated nerves or into soft tissue. These minimally invasive techniques aim to alleviate pain and help restore normal function as quickly as possible with a short recovery time. Some commonly performed interventional treatments we perform include:
- Lumbar facet joint injections for low back pain
- Sacro-iliac joint injections for low back pain
- Lumbar epidural steroid injections for acute and chronic sciatica
- Greater occipital nerve block for occipital neuralgia, cluster headache and migraines
- Trigger point injections for persistent muscular pain
- Epidural for chronic pain relief
- Botox for chronic migraine, myofascial pain and peripheral neuropathic pain
- Nerve root blocks
- Localised, targeted treatment of the peripheral nerves for pain such as chronic post-surgical pain or persistent pain from shingles
- On the skin treatments for patients who either wish to avoid taking regular oral medication or cannot take oral medication
- Qutenza patch - a high strength anti-neuropathic medication applied to a painful area that desensitises peripheral nerves that can provide long lasting pain relief
The Qutenza patch can only be applied in hospital under the recommendation and supervision of a Pain Specialist. This treatment has been used successfully in a wide range of pain problems including post-surgical pain, post-herpetic neuralgia and knee osteoarthritis.
Consultant Pain Specialist
Please call 01382 631 400 for more information about the Pain Management Clinic at BMI Fernbrae Hospital or make an online enquiry.