BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital is pleased to offer an osteoporosis clinic. The clinic is run by Consultant Physician, Dr Gail Darlington and uses bone densitometry to diagnose and monitor osteoporosis. It can also help measure how well patients are responding to osteoporosis treatment drugs.
The clinic is a one stop service for patient consultations and scanning. An osteoporosis scan through this private clinic could help to protect you from painful and unpleasant fractures. If you have high osteoporosis risk factors, your GP can refer you to this clinic.
Osteoporosis risk factors:
- Family history of osteoporosis
- Low body mass index
- Hormonal problems
- Reduced mobility
- High levels of alcohol consumption
The private clinic takes place at BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital on Thursday mornings. Patients are accepted with or without GP referral letter and should check that their insurance company provides cover for this procedure and consultation before booking. The fee for self funding patients is £250 and will include an osteoporosis scan and follow up consultation.
BMI Mount Alvernia preventative treatment plans include:
- Advice on diet and exercise to increase bone mass in under 30 year olds
- Assessment of bone density during the menopause to target treatment to those with low bone density
- Physiotherapy and the use of sticks and walking aids
For more information please call 01483 442699