Physiotherapy can help with a wide range of injuries and conditions including back and neck pain, repetitive strain injuries, joint pain and arthritis, muscle injuries, post surgery rehabilitation, and sports injuries. There are also physiotherapists that specialise in Women’s Health, acupuncture, pilates or hydrotherapy.
Your first visit will involve an assessment of your condition so that a treatment programme can be specifically developed for you. We offer a wide range of therapies that are often used in combination in a treatment programme.
All BMI physiotherapists are registered with the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists and work closely as part of our integrated multi-disciplinary teams within our hospitals so that if necessary, you can benefit from fast referrals and access to the latest imaging technologies to help accurately diagnose and aid treatment pathway decisions.
At Mount Alvernia Hospital we are particularly fortunate to have a large team of Clinical Specialists, Senior Physiotherapists and Senior Occupational Therapists with specialist qualifications in their chosen field. The Physiotherapy department provides the highest quality of treatment within the privacy and comfort of individual treatment rooms and a fully equipped rehabilitation area. The department also provides private physiotherapy services at St John's Health Centre in Woking, Dragon's Health Club in Merrow, Domiciliary Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy visits and Hydrotherapy treatments and classes off-site.
Physiotherapy can play a vital part in pain relief, healing and rehabilitation of most musculoskeletal, medical and surgical conditions.
It is particularly helpful in:
- Rehabilitation after surgery
- Reduction in pain and swelling after an acute injury
- Neck pain, back pain and sciatica
- Postural problems and headaches
- Muscle and joint strains, acute or chronic injuries
- Overuse and repetitive strain injuries
- Advising on injury prevention
- Sport specific rehabilitation
- Mobility problems
- Treating urinary and faecal incontinence
- Chronic swelling of limbs (Lymphoedema)
In your consultation with us the physiotherapist will assess the nature and site of your problem and will relate it to your whole person and its effect on your lifestyle.
After full consultation with you and where appropriate your doctor, the physiotherapist will decide on the best form of treatment.
Areas of speciality within the department include:
- Sports Medicine including Sports Physician, & Sports Massage
- Video and force plate analysis of gait
- Biomechanical Assessment and Orthotic Prescription
- Computerised Muscle Testing System
- Shoulder Assessment and treatment
- Bladder and Bowel dysfunction
- Re-education of Balance and Falls prevention
- Lymphoedema Management
- Ergonomic and Occupational Health advice
- Workplace risk assessments
- The EXOS reformable & waterproof bracing system for treatment of fractures.
Please see the video below for more information about the EXOS reformable and waterproof bracing system, and it's use as an alternative type of cast for the treatment of fractures and other conditions requiring stabilisation of the wrist and/or thumb:
At BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital we offer the following services:
- Manual therapy
- Women's health (pelvic floor muscle weakness/incontinence)
- Sports injuries
- Gait and biomechanical analysis
Our physiotherapy department has eight private treatment rooms and includes a gym.
All BMI physiotherapists work closely as part of our integrated multi-disciplinary teams within our hospitals so that, if necessary, you can benefit from fast referrals and access to the latest imaging technologies to help accurately diagnose and aid treatment pathway decisions. We provide on-site access to diagnostic imaging services which may include ultrasound, x-ray, MRI and CT scans.
The purpose-built physio-gyms at our hospitals let our physiotherapists work with you to provide expert advice and develop an exercise programme which meets your specific needs. Exercise forms an important part of physiotherapy. The aim is to increase mobility, muscle strength, and general fitness, build core stability, and reduce symptoms.
Services include personal training, customised rehabilitation.
Our gym includes:
- Free weights
- Ski fitter
Within the department we offer:
- Electrotherapy and TENS
If we cannot help you with physiotherapy, we can quickly refer you to our Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons who can deal with keyhole joint surgery, repair of ligament injuries, treatment of fractures and repair of tendon and nerve injuries.