Physiotherapists help and treat people of all ages with physical problems caused by illness, accident or ageing. Physiotherapy is a healthcare profession that sees human movement as central to the health and well-being of individuals.
Physiotherapists identify and maximise movement potential through health promotion, preventive healthcare, treatment and rehabilitation. Evidence based medicine ensures the therapist delivers effective, efficient health care at the point of contact.
The core skills used by physiotherapists include manual therapy, therapeutic exercise and the application of electro-physical modalities. Physiotherapists also have an appreciation of psychological, cultural and social factors that influence their clients and their rehabilitation.
For example, if you sprain your ankle, a physiotherapist can ensure you walk safely, reduce your swelling and help improve your movement, strength and balance for speedy return to activities (sport etc).
At BMI Beardwood Hospital we offer the following services:
- Acupuncture physiotherapy - can be used on its own or in combination with physiotherapy to help treat a range of musculoskeletal conditions.
- Bracing - you may benefit from bracing if you have been suffering with painful joints, stability issues or have ongoing pain. Braces can also help with rehabilitation and returning to sport.
- Chronic pain management - if you have had persistent or long standing pain that has failed to respond to previous treatments, then it would be helpful to consult a physiotherapist. This type of physiotherapy has been shown to assist patients with coping strategies that can help improve quality of life.
- Hand therapy - provides assessment and holistic rehabilitation for patients with a hand or upper limb injury or condition. The treatment is tailored to your needs and focuses on helping you get back to the day to day activities that you enjoy.
- Pelvic health physiotherapy - pelvic health physiotherapists are specially trained to assess and treat a range of conditions that can cause pelvic problems, such as incontinence of the bladder or bowel, or pelvic pain.
- Physiotherapy for cancer treatments – we offer individual assessments and treatment for a wide range of musculoskeletal problems that can occur as a result of your cancer treatment, such as shoulder pain and stiffness after breast surgery, or lower back pain as a result of being less active.
- Respiratory physiotherapy- relates to the assessment and treatment of people with disorders of the respiratory system. Physiotherapy is focused on maximising physical function and helping you manage symptoms.
Other conditions we treat:
- Low Back Pain
- Trapped nerve e.g. sciatica
- Prolapsed disc
- Neck pain
- Tennis/golfers elbow
- Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
- Acute Orthopaedic rehabilitation
- Total hip replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Shoulder replacement
- Rotator cuff repairs
- ACL reconstruction
- Post fracture rehabilitation
- Thoracic pain
- Core stability problems
- Acute injury
- Lower/upper limb conditions
- Ligament and/or cartilage injury
- Muscle injury
- Muscle imbalance
- Post hand surgery rehabilitation
- Balance training
- Frozen shoulder/shoulder instability/post-op rehabilitation
Covid 19 update - Remote Consultations
At BMI Healthcare we want you to know that we are still here for you during the lock down. We may be unable to offer face-to-face support for patients at this time but we are now able to offer telephone or video consultations, so we can continue to provide advice and exercises to help treat your condition. Our prices have been reduced during this time.
Call us on 0800 404 6660 to arrange your appointment