Sir Reginald Murley, KBE, TD, a past President of the Royal College of Surgeons opened the Blackheath Hospital in September 1984. It is an independent hospital, created in response to demands of local hospital facilities to match those traditionally found only in central London.
The Victorian houses, which form the classical façade of the Hospital, have a history of community use as well as private occupation. This history dates back to the 1830s when the buildings formed The Blackheath New Proprietary School Number 42 Lee Terrace (now renovated as consulting rooms and administrative offices) was the main school building and Number 40 (now completely rebuilt within the original shell to accommodate two wards and three operating theatres) was one of two boarding houses for pupils.
When the school closed in 1867, the main building was pulled down and replaced by a house known as Greylands.
The boarding house was substantially altered and used for many years as a private dwelling known as Belmont.
In 1906 it returned to its original function as Belmont House School – a privately owned preparatory school for boys until 1940. During the Second World War both houses were used by London County Council as a sub fire station, and after the war as an old people's home.
In March 1983 Fairclough Building commenced site work at Blackheath, working to a design by architects Richard Seifert & Partners. This included large scale excavation of the basement area of Belmont House to provide the space required for operating theatres and ancillary services.
The conversion of Greylands involved restoration of the original decorative plasterwork on the staircase and hall walls. The patient's rooms and related facilities are located within a completely new link building, which preserves only a feature tower and the two façades of the original house.
In 2002 the Blackheath Hospital acquired the Winchester House site for its Outpatient Medical centre and began an extensive refurbishment programme.
The Outpatient Medical Centre at Winchester House adds to the range of services and facilities offered by the Blackheath Hospital.