Please view our latest Quality Accounts.
To find out more about NHS Choose & Book programme please speak to your GP or contact the NHS Telephone Appointments Line on 0345 608 8888 with your Unique Booking Reference Number (UBRN), which is given to you by your GP.
Medication prescribed for NHS patients receiving treatment or consultations at BMI The Clementine Churchill Hospital will reflect the medicines included within the Local Health Economy formulary. For details of the formulary content please click here which directly connects to the document. BMI Healthcare sincerely thank the Pharmacy team for their permission to use this reference.
NHS Weight Loss Surgery
Following the successful tender for NHS bariatric services in London and the South, BMI The Clementine Churchill Hospital has launched BMI London Obesity Surgical Service (LOSS) a new dedicated weight loss unit. BMI LOSS is a co-operative venture between BMI Healthcare and Streamline Surgical Group Ltd to provide world-class specialist bariatric surgery to the NHS. BMI LOSS is based at BMI The Clementine Churchill Hospital and provides a full range of surgical weight loss procedures delivered by a multi disciplinary team.
The NHS doesn’t routinely fund weight loss (bariatric) surgery and patients will have to meet a list of conditions to qualify. These are set out in national guidance produced by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Primary Care Trusts or PCTs (who fund the operations) will use this guidance together with other locally agreed criteria as the framework for their decision to fund weight loss surgery.There are several recommendations within the national guidance for people considering weight loss surgery but the most important are shown below:
- You will need to have a BMI of 40 or higher
- A BMI of 35 is acceptable, if you also have a condition made worse by obesity. This might include diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems or severe joint problems.
- You will be expected to have tried all other alternatives (including diets, drug treatments or even counselling) for a minimum of six months.
- You may be required to attend a specialist NHS obesity clinic for at least a year.
- You will need to be assessed as fit enough for the operation and general anaesthetic. You must be aware of the risk of complications.
- You must understand the need for long term follow up and be committed to changing your lifestyle.
To find out if your suitable for NHS finding you will need to have a discussion with your GP, who will have to apply for NHS funding on your behalf.
To find out more about our weight loss surgery procedures and advice on how to find out whether you can qualify for NHS funded treatment, please call 020 8872 3872.
NHS Choose & Book Clinics:-
- Adult foot & ankle
- Adult gynaecology
- Adult hernia repair
- Adult knee
- Adult lumps and bumps
- Adult general ENT
- Adult hip
- Adult colorectal
- Adult general urology
- Adult hand & wrist
- Adult gastroscopy
- Adult surgery for prolapsed intervetebral disc
- Adult pain management
- Adult cholecystectomy
- Adult shoulder & elbow
- Adult oral & maxillofacial