What are varicose veins?
Varicose veins are swollen, enlarged and raised veins, usually blue or dark purple in colour and they generally occur on the legs. They may also be lumpy, twisted or bulging in appearance.
We offer a variety of treatment options for varicose veins, carried out by our Consultant Vascular Surgeons. After your initial consultation and an examination, our Consultants will provide you with specific treatment options based on the nature of your condition.
What treatment options are available for varicose veins?
- Endovenous surgery - where the faulty vein or veins are closed by treating the vein with radiofrequency ablation or mechanico chemical ablation
- Removal of veins in short segments (avulsions and microphlebectomies)
- Injection of chemical irritants into veins to destroy the vein and close its channel (sclerotherapy). This may be performed in clinic when treating less extensive areas or small-sized varicose veins. This can also be combined with the other treatments
- VenaSeal endovenous cyanoacrylate glue – one of the most recent innovations in varicose vein treatment that uses a medical glue to seal off varicose veins
Benefits of newer varicose vein treatments compared with traditional stripping methods:
- Normally carried out using local anaesthetic and patients are able to go home within a short time of their procedure
- Usually performed using a needle puncture technique and if necessary tiny incisions resulting in minimal scarring
- Minimal pain and bruising resulting in a faster return to normal activities
How to book an appointment
Appointments for the BMI Highfield Varicose Vein clinic are available with Consultant Vascular Surgeons Mr Hassan Badri and Mr Simon Hardy.
If you’d like to find out more about varicose veins and the various treatments available please call us on 01706 655 121 or make an online enquiry.