- Are you experiencing pain or discomfort in your breasts?
- Have you noticed a change in your breasts?
- Are you concerned or require specialist breast advice?
- Are you looking for a leading reconstructive breast surgeon?
The Rapid Breast Clinic at BMI The Priory Hospital provides high quality breast care services and is staffed by highly experienced consultants and dedicated clinical nurse specialists, ensuring you are treated quickly and that you are supported throughout the whole process.
Appointments can usually be arranged within 24 hours of referral. A referral is preferred, however, consultants at BMI The Priory Hospital will see patients without one.
The Rapid Access Breast Clinic is where you will be able to meet the specialist breast team and undergo diagnostic tests. Some results are available on the same day enabling you to discuss future care needs without the worry of waiting.
Reconstructive/cosmetic breast surgeons
A mammographer is usually available on the day, but for ultra sound scans and biopsies, a return visit is necessary. However, there are no radiologists available for Mr Hallissey’s Friday clinic.
What can you expect?
During your visit, the clinical nurse specialist will reassure you and answer any questions you may have. You will be guided through any tests you may need and any follow-up required will be arranged for you. Most clinics have a breast care nurse present to take the patient through their patient journey.
Our breast consultants specialise in breast treatments and surgery. They have vast experience both privately and within the NHS, and are committed to providing excellent care. They understand patients are apprehensive about test results and will always try to inform you of results as soon as possible.
The Rapid Access Breast Clinic encompasses all aspects of diagnosis and treatment as well as offering specialised diagnostics, including:
- Full Field Digital Mammography
- Nuclear Medicine Department, which offers sentinel lymph node localisation and imaging
- MRI scanning
The diagnostic tests the Breast Clinic offers are:
- Ultrasound: sometimes used following a mammogram, when a more detailed view is required
- Fine Needle Aspiration: A needle and syringe is used to aspirate fluid from a cyst or solid area in the breast, sometimes performed under Ultrasound Guidance. The specimen may be sent to the laboratory for analysis if required
- Core Biopsy: A specific needle is used to take a sample of breast tissue, using local anaesthetic to numb the area. Specimens are subsequently analysed by a specialist breast pathologist.
Patients who have been found to have a cancer may need the opportunity to talk through or clarify their diagnosis, its implications, and surgery or treatment options. Our consultants and clinical nurse specialist will support you through any decisions and guide you through treatment options.
If you have any concerns after you leave the Breast Clinic, you will be provided with contact details of the clinical nurse specialist.
We are here to offer help and support to patients and their families throughout diagnosis, treatment and beyond. The Breast Clinic at BMI The Priory Hospital offers a high quality, caring and comprehensive service in accordance with recognised national and locally agreed cancer care guidelines.
The service is supported by physiotherapists, Lymphoedema clinical nurse specialists, Macmillan palliative care nurses, dieticians and a clinical psychologist.
The service can also provide:
- A wide range of immediate and delayed reconstructive breast procedures
- Oncology Day Care and in-patient facilities providing chemotherapy and other anti-cancer treatments
- Survivorship support meetings
- Prosthetic Fitting Service
Our team provide individualised care for the diagnosis and treatment of benign and malignant breast disease for all our patients.
Fixed price surgery packages
If you do not have medical insurance, we offer fixed price packages for surgery, which gives you the peace of mind of knowing in advance the cost of your treatment, subject to pre-assessment. You will be made aware of any additional costs incurred in advance. If you do have medical insurance ask your GP to refer you to our breast clinic.
Contact numbers for BMI The Priory Breast Clinic and Breast Care Service:
- Outpatients at BMI The Priory Hospital: 0121 446 1638
- Breast Care Nurse Specialist: 0121 446 1569
- Oncology Department: 0121 446 1760