The Oral and Maxillofacial surgery department at BMI Thornbury Hospital in Sheffield offers you fast, direct and convenient appointments with a consultant specialising in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Your consultant may be able to reassure you that what you are experiencing is nothing to be concerned about or they can discuss treatment options that could relieve your symptoms so you can return to enjoying your life.
Together, you and your consultant can decide the best route for you and develop a tailor made treatment package to achieve optimum results.
Oral and maxillofacial surgery are specialist surgical fields concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting the teeth, mouth, jaws, face and neck. The surgeons in this field also work with dentists and speech therapists in performing corrective surgery in malformed mouths and jaws.
Our consultants include:
The Oral surgery and Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Department at BMI Thornbury Hospital offers a wide range of treatments including:
- Adult and Paediatric Oral Surgery
- Surgical removal of wisdom teeth, buried roots and other impacted teeth
- Surgical exposure or removal of buried canine teeth
- Treatment of cysts and tumours of the jaws
- Screening for Oral Cancer
- Treatment of lesions of the lip, mouth, palate and tongue, including biopsy
- Management of problems affecting the oral mucosa such as white patches, mouth ulcers and sore mouth
- Treatment of salivary gland problems including stones and mucous cysts
- Treatment of facial injuries including fractures of the jaw and zygoma (cheek bone)
- Management of temporomandibular joint (jaw joint) disorders
- Investigation and treatment offacial pain
- Surgery to correct dental and orthognathic discrepancies (facial deformity surgery)
- Bone grafting
The type of Oral surgery and Oral Maxillofacial surgery you will receive will depend on your condition. Your Oral Maxillofacial surgeon will assess your condition and give you a specialist opinion. If further diagnostic tests or treatment are required, these will be explained fully during your consultation.