Amyloid scan (cardiac amyloidosis)
An amyloid scan is used in the detection of a heart condition called cardiac amyloidosis. Book online today.
What is an Amyloid Scan?
An amyloid scan is used to determine the anatomy and function of your heart in order to note the extent of amyloid deposits. Amyloid deposit is a build-up of an abnormal protein in the body that can make it difficult for the organs and tissues to work properly.
What is this scan used for?
An amyloid scan is a sensitive tool for the diagnosis and exclusion of clinically significant ATTR cardiac amyloidosis.
How can I prepare for this procedure?
- Please eat normally and hydrate well.
- Between your injection and scan appointments drink about one litre of any fluid.
- Empty your bladder frequently, as this reduces the radiation dose you receive and improves the quality of the scan.
- You will not need to undress as long as there are no metal items on your clothing.
- If there is any chance you could be pregnant or if you are breastfeeding, please inform the Department at least 24 hours before your appointment on 0161 495 7040.
What happens during the procedure?
- There are two appointment times for this scan.
- The first appointment lasts for 30 minutes and consists of an injection of the tracer into a vein in your arm or hand, which is like having a blood test. The second appointment, three hours later, lasts for approximate 45 minutes and is when the images are acquired.
- You can leave the hospital and return between the two appointments.
- You will be lying down for your scan, but you will not be totally enclosed.
- You will be okay to drive after this scan.
Paying for your procedure
The costs of an amyloid scan are covered by most medical insurance policies, but please check with your insurer first. If you are paying for your own scan, please ask for the cost of the procedure to be explained when you book the appointment.
Specialists Offering Amyloid scan (cardiac amyloidosis)
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and 6 months' aftercare
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with the BMI card and spread the cost over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)