Please select a treatment:
What is ENT surgery?
ENT surgeons or otolaryngologists specialise in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions of the head and neck, specifically the ears, nose and throat. There are many aspects covered by an ENT Surgeon such as helping patients recover or manage diseases affecting their hearing and balance, or treat infections of the throat that affect speech and eating. Some ENT surgeons also deal with cancers in these parts of the body or undertake plastic reconstructive surgery of the face.
Most of the conditions do not require surgery, being treated with medication.
When you should see an ENT specialist?
The range of symptoms is quite broad, but if you notice any abnormality in the area of the head and neck, your GP will be able to refer you to the right specialist. ENT surgeons treat many disorders but they are usually categorised by the area they affect:
- Head and neck: benign or malign tumours of the nose/sinuses, mouth, throat, upper oesophagus including the thyroid and parathyroid glands
- Laryngology: treating disorders in the throat, such as sore throat, hoarseness, swallowing issues, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, infections
- Otology: diseases or trauma to the ears, such as infections, nerve pathway disorders affecting hearing and balance, perforation of the eardrum, hearing loss
- Rhinology: sinus disorders, polyps, nose bleeds, loss of smell, stuffy nose
- Facial reconstructive or plastic surgery: surgical reconstructive treatment of abnormalities of the face, neck and ear , such as deviated septum, rhinoplasty, correction of ear deformities
- Paediatric otolaryngology: most common children ENT disorders such as ear infections, tonsillitis or adenoid infections, airway problems, sinus disorders.They also treat congenital disorders
Common procedures include problems of the ear, nose and throat such as:
- Tonsillectomy and/or adenoid removals: the removal of tonsils and/or adenoids, in both adults and children, for the relief of tonsillitis
- Grommet insertions: this procedure is carried in order to allow air into the middle ear in people suffering of chronic middle ear infection to improve their hearing
- Septoplasty: correction of the septum to allow clear breathing and remove any obstruction
- Endoscopic sinus surgery: this operation is carried in order to improve breathing, treat and prevent sinusitis from coming back
- Ear implants: aiding patients who suffer from severe deafness can get implants that will help them hear
How can BMI Help?
Our consultant ENT surgeons can help diagnose, treat or manage any disorder of the ear, neck and throat in order to help improve quality of life. We offer fast, direct and convenient appointments where the consultant can decide the best route for you and develop a tailor made treatment package.