Please select a treatment:
What is nuclear medicine?
Nuclear medicine is the branch of medicine concerned with the use of radioisotopes in the diagnosis, management, and treatment of disease, particularly in life-threatening or chronic conditions.
It uses small amounts of radiopharmaceuticals, substances that are attracted to specific organs, bones, or tissues, which emit gamma rays that can be detected externally by special types of cameras including, gamma or PET cameras. These cameras work in conjunction with computers used to form images that provide data and information about the structure and functions of organs being imaged.
The amount of radiation from a nuclear medicine procedure is comparable to that received during a diagnostic x-ray.
Wide range of treatments
The nuclear medicine department at BMI Healthcare offer treatment and diagnostic testing for a wide range of chronic and life-threatening diseases and conditions including:
- Hyperthyroidism – overactive thyroid
- Thyroid cancer
- Bone pain from cancer
- Blood disorders
Nuclear medicine is also used to:
- Detect coronary heart disease
- Evaluate the damage to the heart after a heart attack
- Assess heart function both before and after chemotherapy
- Assess lungs for respiratory and blood flow issues
- Identify lung transplant rejection
- Identify bone fractures and arthritis
- Assess bone tumours
- Identify neurological disorders such as, Alzheimer’s Disease
- Identify brain tumours
- Investigate neurological disorders such as, memory loss
Common nuclear medicine scans, tests and therapies:
How BMI Healthcare can help
Nuclear medicine at BMI Healthcare offers you fast, direct and convenient appointments with a consultant specialising in nuclear medicine. Your consultant may be able to reassure you that what you are experiencing is nothing to be concerned about or they can discuss treatment options that could relieve your symptoms so you can return to enjoying your life.
Together, you and your consultant can decide the best route for you and develop a tailor made treatment package to achieve optimum results.