What is Gait Analysis?
Gait analysis is a biomechanical examination where our physiotherapists determine how efficiently your body moves when walking or running. Asymmetries or abnormalities in our foot strike and loading pattern can cause joint, muscle, ligament or tendon soreness further up the body in the ankle, knee, hip and back.
The assessment allows our physiotherapists to identify these issues and tailor your treatment plan to get you walking, running or competing pain free, whilst offering the best advice to reduce the risk of future injuries.
Who can benefit from Gait Analysis?
Gait analysis can be useful for those who:
- Experience pain when walking or running
- Suffer from sore feet when standing all day
- Have foot, ankle, knee, hip or back pain
- Suffer from conditions such as plantar fasciitis or metatarsalgia
- Have flat feet, bunions, neuromas or hammer toes
- Have balance issues or bad posture
- Are physically active and play sport
How does it work?
At BMI Healthcare, we perform our gait analysis using the latest Footscan® technology. This system has over 4,000 high speed sensors which accurately capture and analyse your movement, providing detailed plantar pressure information which simply cannot be seen with a treadmill or the human eye. This information can be slowed down to help identify even the smallest asymmetries or abnormalities in your movement which may be the cause of lower limb pain or discomfort.
What happens during Gait Analysis?
An assessment begins with a static scan to look at your posture and weight distribution when standing. If necessary, the system also allows our physiotherapists to monitor your balance and movement efficiency during specific tasks such as squatting and jumping. We then complete a dynamic gait analysis to assess how you walk across the system. For active individuals and runners, we can also provide a running assessment. Footscan® provides a range of visual analysis screens that your physiotherapist will then discuss with you.
The results from your Gait Analysis can be used to:
- Diagnose foot, ankle, knee or hip related issues
- Provide evidence based treatment and rehabilitation programmes that are tailored to you
- Identify your risk of injury based on your natural movement
- Design Phits 3D-printed insoles (orthotics) specific to your needs
- Recommend the most appropriate type of footwear
How can Phits 3D Printed Insoles Help?
Whether you are aiming for an Olympic podium or just want to complete your daily activities, it’s important to perform in the most optimal conditions with every step you take. Following our Footscan® analysis, Phits insoles are designed from your real time dynamic data to restore biomechanical imbalances in your lower limbs and provide tailored support and cushioning where you need it most. They help to improve comfort, efficiency and performance by optimising your foot mechanics, whilst minimising pain and the risk of injury. Accurately translating your movement in to a bespoke insole is a totally unique process and only made possible using our advanced 3D-printing capabilities. We even have sport specific designs for running, football, golf, cycling and skiing.
Why have Gait Analysis at BMI Healthcare?
- Cutting edge technology - we are equipped with the leading Footscan® technology as used by world champion athletes
- Phits 3D-printed insoles - we offer the world’s first 3D-printed insoles which are specifically designed from your gait analysis, unique to you based on your dynamic data
- Choice of locations - many of our physiotherapy departments offer gait analysis, meaning patients have access throughout our UK network of over 50 hospitals
- Individualised care - your physiotherapist will work with you to provide a thorough assessment, analysis and treatment plan based on the results of your scan
- Fast access - you don't need a GP referral to access gait analysis services at BMI Healthcare. We offer appointments, usually within 48 hours. If you have private medical insurance, check with your insurer before booking your appointment
How much does Gait Analysis cost?
An initial assessment with a physiotherapist starts from £54*.
Phits 3D Printed Insoles are priced at £300 for standard insoles and £350 for sports specific insoles.
To find out more about gait analysis and Phits insoles at BMI Healthcare, call 0800 404 6660 or make an online enquiry.
*This is a starting from price and varies by hospital