What is physiotherapy for sports injuries?
Physiotherapy for sports injuries specialises on the diagnosis and treatment of muscle, joint and nerve problems caused by practising a sport or exercising. Sports injuries we can treat include:
- Tendon, ligament and muscle injuries and muscle imbalance
- Hip, knee, ankle and foot pain
- Shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand pain
- Back pain and injuries
- Conditions such as Tennis/Golfer’s elbow and Achilles issues
- Repetitive strain or over-use injuries
- Post-fracture rehabilitation
- Post-operative rehabilitation e.g. cruciate ligament repair, arthroscopy, Achilles rupture
What happens during physiotherapy treatment?
Your physiotherapist will ask specific questions about your injury and the type of exercise you were doing before the physical examination. This may include assessing joint movement, muscle power, co-ordination, posture and function.
Once the assessment is complete, your physiotherapist can give you a diagnosis and suggest a bespoke treatment plan.
The treatment plan will consist of a variety of hands-on techniques and sports-specific rehabilitation. Your therapist might also ask you to repeat the exercises at home for a better rehabilitation outcome.
About sports massage
Sports massage includes a range of techniques that target soft tissue problems such as tightness, overuse, fatigue, pain. The therapist might use specific tools or simply use their hands.
- Why you should get a sports massage?
You don’t need to be an athlete to benefit from a sports massage. Getting a sports massage before and/or after exercise may enhance your performance, aid recovery and help avoid injury.
It may also help if you didn’t engage in physical activity due to an injury or muscle strain , or just feel that you’ve built muscle tension. Sports massage can:
- Enhance recovery from training or injury
- Reduce pain from muscle soreness or tension
- Aid in mental preparation ahead of exercising
- Improve mobility of soft tissues and joints
- Aid relaxation
- Reduce stress levels
- Improve flexibility and posture
- Improve body awareness
- Enhance general health and wellbeing
Why get private physiotherapy treatment for your sports injury?
- Specially trained physiotherapists: our physiotherapists are all members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, and are trained in the assessment, treatment and prevention of sports injuries. You can also be seen by sports physicians.
- Fast access to diagnostic tests: establishing the underlying issue of a sports injury is an important step in rehabilitation. Our team can quickly refer you to get on-site diagnostic tests such as ultrasound scans, X-rays, or MRI scans.
- Access to a team of orthopaedic consultants: your injury might require additional assessment by a consultant orthopaedic surgeon. Our service can point you in the right direction if you need a different course of treatment.
Speak to us today about how to get referred for this treatment. Meet with a consultant of your choice, with appointments usually available within 48 hours.