What is Vestibular Physiotherapy?
If you are suffering from dizziness, vertigo, nausea or loss of balance, then you might benefit from vestibular rehabilitation treatment.
The treatment consists of exercises designed to retrain the balance system and to re-programme your brain to tune out the dizzy sensations. The goal is to gradually reduce the severity of your symptoms, by becoming desensitised.
How does it work?
In order to move around without getting dizzy, our brain relies on the eyes, the joints and the balance organs in the ears. When the balance organ is not working properly, it causes dizziness or instability, which can be disabling and unpleasant.
Your physiotherapist will assess your symptoms and explain how the vestibular mechanism works. Once the assessment is complete, the therapist will develop a bespoke programme of vestibular and balance exercises to address your needs.
The exercises need to be done regularly throughout the day for the best outcomes.
How you could benefit from vestibular rehabilitation
Vestibular physiotherapy can reduce symptoms and increase the confidence to move naturally and return to normal life.
For those suffering from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), the condition can be relieved through a specific series of head movements called Epley Maneuver or Canalith Repositioning Procedure. These movements have to be carried only under the supervision of a physiotherapist due to certain risks such as neck or back injury.
A vestibular physiotherapy plan will include:
- eye and head movements
- exercises for your standing balance and walking
- specific techniques if you suffer from BPPV
- advice on how to manage your condition for daily living and how to prevent falls
Why have vestibular rehabilitation at BMI Healthcare?
- Specially trained physiotherapists: our physiotherapists are all members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
- Fast access to private treatment, usually within 48 hours
- Service available at a wide selection of BMI Healthcare hospitals throughout the country