Mr Alex Swanton
MBBS, FRCOG, MRCOG
Practices at: Circle Reading Hospital
He has over 12 years of IVF experience both in practice and research. His MD thesis studied women with PCOS undergoing IVF treatment and has received a number of national and international awards.
His research interests include subfertility, PCOS, endometriosis, recurrent miscarriage and fibroids as well as being an expert in advanced laparoscopic surgery.
- Menstrual disorders
- Hysterectomy (keyhole surgery)
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Female and male subfertility
- IVF and assisted conception
- Ultrasound scanning
- Early pregnancy
Mr Swanton has developed particular expertise over a number of years in keyhole surgery for conditions including fibroids, hysterectomy and endometriosis. He is accredited and fee-assured by BUPA, AXA and all other major health insurance companies.
- Research interests include subfertility
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists
- British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy
- European Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy
- British Fertility Society
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology
- Do women with ovaries of polycystic morphology without any other features of PCOS benefit from short-term metformin co-treatment during IVF? A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial.
Swanton A, Lighten A, Granne I, McVeigh E, Lavery S, Trew G, Talmor A, Raine-Fenning N, Jayaprakasan K, Child T.
Hum Reprod. 2011 Aug;26(8):2178-84. doi: 10.1093/humrep/der120. Epub 2011 May 18.
- Avoiding and managing complications during gynaecological surgery. Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Reproductive Medicine, 2010. Morrison J, Swanton AG & Mackenzie I.
- IVF outcome in women with PCOS, PCO and normal ovarian morphology.
Swanton A, Storey L, McVeigh E, Child T.
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010 Mar;149(1):68-71. doi: 10.1016/j.ejogrb.2009.11.017. Epub 2009 Dec 22.
- Laparoscopy and laparoscopic surgery. Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Reproductive Medicine; pp33-40: 2009. Updated 2012. Swanton AG, Slack A & McVeigh JE.
- Today's medical management of endometriosis. Prescriber Journal, February 2009. Swanton A & McVeigh E
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Oxford Handbook of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 2nd Edition 2008. Swanton AG.
- Female Subfertility. Oxford Handbook of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 2nd Edition 2008. Swanton AG.
- Pregnancy rates after conservative treatment for borderline ovarian tumours: a systematic review.
Swanton A, Bankhead CR, Kehoe S.
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2007 Nov;135(1):3-7.
- Chemotherapy versus surgery for initial treatment in advanced ovarian epithelial cancer.
Morrison J, Swanton A, Collins S, Kehoe S.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Oct 17;(4):CD005343.
- Re: Stephen J. Bromage, Debbie A. Falconer, Brian A. Lieberman, et al. Sperm retrieval rates in subgroups of primary azoospermic males. Eur urol 2007;51:534-40.
Swanton A, Child T.
Eur Urol. 2007 Aug;52(2):613. Epub 2007 Mar 26.
- Azoospermia: is sample centrifugation indicated? A national survey of practice and the Oxford experience.
Swanton A, Itani A, McVeigh E, Child T.
Fertil Steril. 2007 Aug;88(2):374-8. Epub 2007 Feb 6.
- Gynaecological surgery in the older population: a comparative study between two 3-year samples over a decade.
Swanton A, Sellathurai A, Reginald P.
J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Jul;26(5):452-3.
- Diagnosis, treatment and follow up of women undergoing conscious pain mapping for chronic pelvic pain: a prospective cohort study.
Swanton A, Iyer L, Reginald PW.
BJOG. 2006 Jul;113(7):792-6.
- Reproduction and ovarian ageing.
J Br Menopause Soc. 2005 Dec;11(4):126-31.
Swanton A, Child T.
- Premature menopause in association with blepharophimosis, ptosis, and epicanthus inversus. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005 Apr;25(3):318-9.
Swanton A, Fairbank J.
- Medical management of chronic pelvic pain: The evidence. Reviews in Gynaecological Practice, March 2004; 4 (1): 65-70.
Swanton AG & Reginald PW.
- Secondary amenorrhoea due to the use of rifampicin as an antimycobacterial agent.
Swanton AG, Paterson-Brown S.
J Obstet Gynaecol. 2002 Mar; 22(2):227-8.
Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies
MRCOG, BSGE, BFS, BMA, ESHRE
Ways to pay
Pay for yourself
Pay for yourself with our fixed price packages. This includes your pre-assessment, treatment, follow-ups and six months of aftercare.
Pay with health insurance
We are widely recognised by health insurers. Ask your insurer about your cover and for an insurer pre-authorisation code.
Spread the cost
Pay for yourself with monthly repayments spread over 12 months, interest-free (terms and conditions apply)